We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genoa for a day

Which Genoa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OZ
Level Contributor
10 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Genoa for a day

Hi we will be in Genoa for 1 day in July on a cruise.

I am trying to decide if there is much to see in Genoa or should we arrange a tour to Portofino etc

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,898 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Genoa for a day

See http://www.visitgenoa.it/en/homepage

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Genoa for a day

Visit porto antico, the labyrinth of the medieval city center and eat a slice of focaccia by the seaside, walking in one if the best preserved medieval city center in italy through the narrow streets and the tough stairs to Spianata castelletto to admire the sunset over one of the most underrated and less touristy city in italy.

nottingham
Level Contributor
42 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Genoa for a day

How do you get from Genoa to Port Antico using public transport

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Genoa for a day

I never used public transport to reach porto antico because it's a 15 minutes walk from train station piazza principe. You can take the metro from principe to san Giorgio or a bus.

Truro, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Genoa for a day

I have recently spent 24 hours in Genova (Genoa) and wrote about it on my blog.

There are lots of pictures.. maybe worth checking out?

carolsomewhere.com/1/post/2014/05/24-hours-i…

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Genoa for a day

Nice blog about Genoa. Can you give any further detail about the crime? Just common sense or very serious?

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
278 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Genoa for a day

I also have a Genova blog entry

mywifetakesmeplaces.com/mywifetakesme/…

By far one of the least touristy cities with a lot of things to see (and fantastic, authentic food)!

Portofino is pretty and all that, but I really can't imagine spending more than a couple of hours there. If you scroll through my blog you'll see a day trip you can do (if you're in good shape) where you take a boat from Camogli to San Fruttuoso and then do a gorgeous hike to Portofino. If hiking isn't for you then just take a boat from place to place. Lovely.

All big cities in Italy have pickpockets. Just use common sense as you would anywhere else. There are a few streets in the historic center of Genova that have prostitutes, but it's nothing to worry about.

It's a very walkable city.

Level Contributor
1,260 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Genoa for a day

Pickpockets aren't really a big deal in Genova, partly because of the lack of tourists. It's really safe city. In Via della Maddalena and Via macelli di Soziglia there are prostitutes 24h a day waiting for clients and it's more strange than dangerous.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Genoa for a day

Thanks. Make common sense decisions and we will be good to go. So excited!

10. Re: Genoa for a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:17