We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
travel

We are on our way to Genoa to board a cruise on and our connecting flight from Munich to Genoa has been cancelled and we are looking for an alternate way - either train or coach. We are 2 adults and 1 child aged 13 and we are travelling on Friday 25 April 2014

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
874 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel

There is a night train Munich-Milano, 9:08pm --> 9:30am

On April 25, about 269 Euros, three berths in a six-berths cabin:

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Milano-Genova, plenty of Intercity or "Interregional" trains:

www.trenitalia.com, then click on UK flag

Brun066

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,385 posts
874 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel

Or, much better, 253 Euros for the same night train Munich-Milano, by Sleeper: 3 persons in "Economy" 3-berth cabin (that is, a sleeper cabin exclusive for you: it's the so-called "Europa-Spezial Italien" fare).

Check at the same website I quoted above, entering "1st class travel".

Brun066

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,156 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel

By day, this journey takes 9 to 11 hours by train depending on departure time, with changes at Verona and Munich. Use the German website already recommended as far as Verona, and www.trenitalia.com from Verona Porta Nuova to Genova Piazza Principe.

Or maybe see if your airline will through-ticket you to Milan and take the train from there?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
115 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel

When traveling between European countries, it seems like airfare can easily cost no more than trains. I recommend pricing out airfare, too.

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel

Thank you for the info. We have spoke to the Airline and changed our flight to Milan. I believe it is about 1.5hours to Genoa by train.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel

Milano Centrale station is about 1.5 hours from Genova Piazza Principe station.

But you also need to get to Milano Centrale from the airport - if this is Malpensa Airport, you will have an additional 45 minutes train journey, plus the necessary connection time at Milano Centrale.

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel

This is very helpful - I didn't realise the station was so far away from Malpensa Airport. I presume we can get a train at the airport to Milano Centrale?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,156 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel

See http://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/

9. Re: travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Genoa
Recent Conversations