We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get a bite to eat near train station

Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Topic
Where to get a bite to eat near train station

We have a little over 2 hours before our train boards for Turin. It will be a long day and we

will want some food. Is there a place close to the station for a meal preferably under 20 euros

each? We will our luggage with us. Isn't there some lockers there we could stow the luggage?

Thanks for any suggestions

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,325 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

There are staffed left luggage facilities (Deposito Bagagli) in both of Genoa's main stations, Genova Brignole and Genova Piazza Principe (don't know which one you're changing at). Cost here www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp… - remember to allow sufficient time to retrieve your luggage as this is not always instant.

There are places to eat near both, but I can't recommend any personally.

There are no lockers at any Italian train station.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
897 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

At walking distance from "Genova Piazza Principe" Station" (300 mts) I recently tried this nice restaurant (however, a bit 'more expensive than € 20 if you want both the pasta dish and the main dish):

tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g187823-d14…

Brun066

Level Contributor
1,303 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187823-d19…

That is the place for you. White wine, pasta woth seafood and second course with fish plus coffee and digestif and I never payed more than 15 euros.

Food is not the highest level but it's ok and many workers go there because it's really for locals. It's probably the cheapest restaurant in Genova and food quality is good, great value for money. It's 50 meters from the station so you won't need any locker.

AVOID the restaurant in front of Mario, "Pino".

Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

thank you all. We are arriving at Genova Piazza Principe. We will check out both recommendations

How long approximately to check and retrieve bags? Is it even a possibility to catch an earlier train

if there is one ?

Level Contributor
1,303 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

Hard to say if you don't tell us which time you're arriving in Genova. :D

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,325 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

How long to retrieve bags depends on whether you are the only people at the counter or whether you are unlucky enough to arrive just after other people who are depositing or retrieving bags.

If you have a ticket bought in Italy for a Regional train, then you can catch an earlier train. They're usually hourly, but with some gaps. If bought online, you can't. See www.trenitalia.com for times up to June 14.

If you have a ticket for a Frecciabianca or Intercity train with reserved seats, your ticket is valid only for the one specific departure time.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

We arrive in Genova at 13:06 and it was booked online on an intercity train. I know it is hard to judge the timing for the luggage. I guess the question should have been " Do you think we have enough time to get a bite to eat if we arrive at 13:06 and depart 15:24?

Level Contributor
1,303 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

The place I told you it's in front of the train station and you wwon't need to leave luggage at all, you have way more time than needed.

If you don't like that place, there are many possibilities in Via balbi area but it involves leaving luggage and walk a few minutes. You'll have time anyway.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

Thank you for the information

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to get a bite to eat near train station

scissorhappy: be sure to post if you find a good place. I had almost the same question, except we only have an hour between connections and we will leave our luggage with our travel partners and sprint for some food for us all to take on the second leg of our journey. It would be fun to hear if you find a good, inexpensive solution! Hoping for a yummy sandwich or tart or pizza highlighting the regional flavors...maybe I'm a dreamer!

Get answers to your questions about Genoa