We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

We'll be arriving at 16:20 on 2 Sept from Munich and would like to catch the earliest train we can from Principe to Monterosso al Mare. I know the express bus comes every half hour but how long does it take to get to the station? Obviously we don't want to miss the train. I looked at shuttles (60euro for only a few km seems a bit high) and taxi rates look to be about 13euro from the websites I've seen. If that taxi price is accurate I'd rather do that.

Thank you!

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

The Volabus takes about 20 mins to Principe. Last time I got a taxi to Princioe it was about 22 euro

What time train do you not want to miss?

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

The 17.10! Looks to tight but the 17.48 could be ok and if you miss that there is only 23 mins to the next one at 18.11

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

That 17:48 train is the one we want. I hesitate on the 17:10 because I have bad luck being held up at the baggage claim.. hahaha. Thanks for making that decision for me! 22euro isnt bad at all.

Thanks!!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

Din't know how you get €22. The Base fare on the 17.48 is €10 in second from Genova Piazza Prinicpe to Monterosso and €12.50 in first.

Don't buy in advance for this train, as if your plane is late an Intercity ticket is worthless, though on the Base fare you do have one hour after the booked time to change your ticket at Genova Piazza Principe booking office,- and it can only be changed for another Intercity train and the next is at 21.58. There's no such leeway with the €9 reduced tickets.

Online tickets for Regional trains can be used within four hours of the booked time.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 08:21
La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

The 22 euro ( unless I have misrembered) was the last and only time I took a taxi from The airport to Principe although it was a few years ago. The driver did not follow the normal bus route though If my memory serves me but went up to the dual carriageway/autostrade exit and came back down in to Principe after a couple of exits as it was rush hour. A few years before that I got a taxi from Príncipe to the IKEA near the airport and I think that was about 15 euros

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

Sorry, I mistook €22 for the train fare, not for the taxi fare!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

The 22 euro isnt for the train, its for the taxi ride to the train station. I already know how much the train tickets are.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 17:35
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

Yeah I just didn't want to wait for the bus to save a little money. I would rather pay a few euro more and get to the train station faster.

Level Contributor
1,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

wanted to share my experience: I had plenty of time to wait for my flight, so instead of taking the Volabus for 6 € I tried to reach the airport with a normal 1,5€ AMT bus ticket.

From Principe I reached the Bus Station close to the metro stop and i took the frequent bus n 1.

With the ticket I got off at one of the "Siffredi" stops (i think Siffredi 2) and then I discovered that i had to cross the railway bridge, go through the small port of Sestri, and then walk a 10 minutes through a small pedonal way in the middle of anything along the road to the airport.

If you have plenty of time (it took around 45 minutes all the process) and have to be on a really low budget (1,50 against 6 can be the difference between a beer more or not :D), it can work with light bags.

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to Principe: taxi vs bus vs shuttle

Just thinking of course if when you arrive and the Volavbus is due then take the Volabus