We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre via boat or train?

Which La Spezia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cinque Terre via boat or train?

Hi . Our cruise ship will be docked in La Spezia on Mon, 10th June from 8am-6pm. Would love to go to Cinque Terre for the day. Was thinking of taking ferries over to villages and seeing them this way or alternately catching train over to Monterosso and making our way back along the villages via the ferries and eventually back to La Spezia to our cruise ship. I need advice on which way is easier and more time efficient. Dont want to do any trekking just take some relaxing strolls thru the villages and stopping for lunch in Vernazza perhaps. And just to put a spanner in the works...... is it possible to fit in Portofino or Rapallo in this itinerary or am i being to adventurous? They seem to be a lot further away from La spezia. Hope someone has some advice for me !!!!

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre via boat or train?

Suggestion

Take train from LaSpezia to Monterosso, after wandering around Monterosso take train back to Vernazza, only a few minutes ride. Spend some time at Vernazza claimed to be most scenic of the villages. Then take the ferrry to Portovenere calling at the other villages an extremely pleasant place. Then catch the bus to LaSpezia in time to get back to your cruise ship.

I am afraid Potofino is out of the question unless as an alternative, you would have to catch a train to Rapallo or Saint Margerhertia and then ferry to Portofino. Have a nice day what ever you do. Both places worth visiting.

Portovenere

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64676991@N03/sets/72157627651155534/

CT

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64676991@N03/sets/72157627155311880/

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre via boat or train?

thanks for the info. much appreciated.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre via boat or train?

Train, the ferry only if it is a very clear day as the views were foggy when we were on it. We saw great views from the paths and the villages are fab. It is much quicker and you can explore more by train imo. Much cheaper also.

4. Re: Cinque Terre via boat or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 05:15