We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portofino to Florence in a day?

Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
Portofino to Florence in a day?

Hi, I'll be staying in Portofino for 5 days in late June. I'd like to take a day trip to Florence. Has anyone done this before? Renting a car is not an option for me, so I'd need to know how to get there via train.

Mentioned in this post
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portofino to Florence in a day?

This is not really practical. There are no fast trains along the coast, and the train journey would take between 3h20 and 4h30 each way. See www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en looking for trains from Santa Margherita Ligure to Firenze SM Novella.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Margherita Ligure
Santa Margherita Ligure
Italian Riviera, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Portofino to Florence in a day?

There are no trains in Portofino so you would first need to get to Santa Margherita Ligure which adds time to the actual train travel.

As noted, this is not a day trip

Mentioned in this post
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Santa Margherita Ligure
Santa Margherita Ligure
Italian Riviera, Italy
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,199 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portofino to Florence in a day?

There are fast trains along the coast, though they are not high speed, and they do not call at Santa Margherita Ligure. Many of them do call at Rapallo.

If you don't mind spending money on taxis (they're rather expensive in this area), take a taxi from Portofino to Rapallo station which is four miles further away fro Portofino than Santa Margherita's. The 07.37 train woould get you to Florence (Firenze S. M. Novella) in 2h 23, and coming back the 18.28 will get you back to Rapallo in 2h 52 giving you an 8.5 hour day in Florence.

See http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en for train times to June 9 - times will be similar or the same on the later dates.

Personally, I'd choose to go somewhere nearer than Florence. And if you are not going to use taxis, the journey times really will be far too long.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Margherita Ligure
Santa Margherita Ligure
Italian Riviera, Italy
Rapallo
Rapallo
Italian Riviera, Italy
Portofino
Portofino
Italian Riviera, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Reply to: Portofino to Florence in a day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted