We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

Please help!!! Can't decide whether to stay in LA Spezia for three nights and do a day trip to the 5 villages (that make up the Cinque Terra) or stay in Camogli for three nights and visit a quuter less touristy fishing village such as Portofino? Any suggestions wsoukd be greatly appreciated! I have always wanted to visit the 'Cinque Terra' so apart of me tells me to do the touristy thing and go there but no it sure if its better to go elsewhere? We will be there around 10th September :-)

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

I suggest you stay in Camogli for the three nights and make a day visit to Monterosso by train where you will have time to see some of the other villages by train or ferry. Few years ago spent ten days in Sestri Levante visited Camogli on a day visit, attractive place but rather hilly for me and went to the CT villages on a couple of days. Excellent train service along that stretch line.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

Portofino may be a little quieter, but it is not really a 'less touristy fishing village". It is a former fishing village now almost entirely given over to tourism by the wealthy.

Camogli is lovely.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

Ok thank you so much for your help! :-)

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

Hmmm ok guys so we decided that we would really like to visit all five villages in the cinque terra and give Portafino a miss... We want to stay in the region for 4 nights but where is the best place to stay if we want to visit the villages? Should we stay in La Spezia and get a boat over for a day? Can you stay in the fishing villages? Sorry it's just so confusing to us and we want it to be special! I've always wanted to see the cinque terra please help :-/

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

Hmmm ok guys so we decided that we would really like to visit all five villages in the cinque terra and give Portafino a miss... We want to stay in the region for 4 nights but where is the best place to stay if we want to visit the villages? Should we stay in La Spezia and get a boat over for a day? Can you stay in the fishing villages? Sorry it's just so confusing to us and we want it to be special! I've always wanted to see the cinque terra please help :-/

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

Sorry! Didn't mean to post that twice :-/. If it helps.... We have 4 nights in the area and want to visit the villages by boat one day, another day maybe explore them on foot via walking tracks and of course relax :-)

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

It does not really matter which of the actual villages you stay at since they are only a few minutes apart by train . Vernazza is regarded by many as being the most scenic and I think for younger guys it probably would be the best for evening activities. However Monterosso is only minutes away and the trains run quite late so you could spend the night in Monterosso and return to your place in another village.

I see that your trip is early Sept at this late date I think you will find it extremely difficult to find any accommodation available and you may to have to settle where you can find a place free. You could try Levanto which is close by being a larger resort.

Regarding current Trails open see this Thread .

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187817-i997-k77…

Edited: 26 August 2014, 20:12
8. Re: Potafino or 5 Villages in Tue Cinque Terra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:15