We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rapallo vs Cinque Terre

California
3 posts
Save Topic
Rapallo vs Cinque Terre

I stayed in Cinque Terre (Monterosso, mostly) a few years ago and have a great memory of it. I'm thinking about staying in Rapallo instead this time, with my husband and our little boy, and I was wondering what feedback I could get about that little town. I thought my boy might enjoy visiting the castle, but mostly the idea is to be laid back and be near the water (or in the water, actually), since he's only 4 years old...

I was also wondering if it' s easy to go to Cinque Terre from there...

Thank you....

Liguria - Italy
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rapallo vs Cinque Terre

Rapallo is very nice but it's become a town, of course there's a wonderful promenade and the castle .... but there ìsn't a beach. I personally would stay in Sestri Levante: there 's a nice sandy beach, a promenade and it's between 5 Terre and Portofino (therefore you can easily visit both) .... with a 4years old child I think it's the ideal place.

Have a look at the local tourist board web site www.apttigulllio.liguria.it to have an idea on both towns.

California
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rapallo vs Cinque Terre

Thank you, that is very helpful. I'm going to look into Sestri Levante... Unfortunately I could not access the site you mentioned, but your reply already helps a lot. I would just return to Monterosso but this gives me an idea for a bit of variety///

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rapallo vs Cinque Terre

Mirtillo is right.. Rapallo is e nice town .. but not good for a holyday.. they built too much and now it's like staying in town.. Sestri Levante is OK .. also nice places on the west part of the riviera (closer to France / Montecarlo) I suggest Alassio or Finale Ligure sandy beaches there !!!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,654 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rapallo vs Cinque Terre

Also in that area is Lerici. beautiful beaches, a lovely small town, across the bay from Portovenere, boat links to the Cinque Terre, I have only been through Rapallo seems quite big and rather touristy.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,208 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rapallo vs Cinque Terre

Sophieanne, the website link didn't work because it was copied with one 'L" too many - it's www.apttigullio.liguria.it.

And I second the general opinion - Rapallo is just a second-home place for the Milanese.. it even has fog in winter sometimes, just like in Milan!!!