We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ventimiglia Train station

UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ventimiglia Train station

Hi, we are travelling from Cannes to Ventimiglia and then on to Milan by train next Sunday. Is the bar/cafe in the station open on a Sunday morning?

Also I'm worried, particularly as its a Sunday how long to leave between the Cannes train arriving and the Milan train leaving so we are looking to arrive at Ventimiglia at 11:13 for the 12:50 train to Milan. Does that sound sensible? We can't afford to miss the Milan train as we are travelling on to Florence and I'm wondering if we should even get an earlier train.

Thanks for any advice

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,152 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ventimiglia Train station

I think that allows plenty of time. The local French trains along the coast can often run a few minutes late, but it would be most unusual to be running more than an hour late.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ventimiglia Train station

Plenty of time - I normally recommend allowing at least 30 minutes (which actually, because of the times of the trains, means around 45 minutes).

You will have time for lunch in Ventimiglia station bar - if you order a proper meal, you can sit down in a pleasant space, under an impressive fascist-era mosaic of the railway and heroic agricultural workers. Note that payment is at the can desk first in a typical Italian payment method for tavola calda establishments which bemuses people who aren't used to it - so decide what you want, find out what it's called, pay for it at the cash desk and then present your receipt at the food counter to be served.

If you only order a drink and/or a snack, you'll have to stand up to consume it, but there is a private bar opposite the station entrance and more nearby so that would be preferable for a snack.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 15:12
UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ventimiglia Train station

Thanks so much for your advice. Is the station bar definitely open on Sunday morning?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,498 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ventimiglia Train station

Yes, though I don't know when they start full meal service as opposed to drinks and snacks. 11.13 sounds a bit early, but definitely 12.00 and maybe earlier.

5. Re: Ventimiglia Train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:17