We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

We are coming to Venice and Milan in late October. Our present itinerary is as follows:

1. Four nights as Venice.

2. Three nights at Verona.

3. Two nights at Como.

4. Four nights at Milan.

And the questions are:

1. Is Verona the best choice between Venice and Milan? Better to stay Brescia or other cities?

2. Is Como doable by a day-trip from Milan?

We fly into Venice and fly back from Milan. In Italy we travel by train.

Thanks in advance.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

Well Verona is easy to get to. It is on the Venice - Milan Intercity train line.

From Verona you can also visit lake Garda. Although it is low season may be a nice day out.

Trains run from Verona to Peschiera del Garda and Desenzano

There is a bus service 62-64 which starts in Verona and goes via Peschiera and services the entire east side of the lake

…verona.it/atv_www/…62-64.pdf

Sirmione is a popular place to visit

There is also a bus service from Verona which goes to Sirmione (ending in Brescia)

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN026.pdf

And a service from Desenzano train station

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN008.pdf

Mantova can be reached by direct Regional train from Verona. Takes ~ 45mins and costs €3.15 single

Como is doable as a day trip from Milan. Takes only 1hr by Regional train to the Como Nord Borghi/Como Nord Lago. Costs €4.45

Suburbano service "S" takes the same time and costs the same. Goes to Como San Giovanni. All three stations about 1km apart

www.trenitalia.com for trains

Please note that when using Regional train services you must stamp your ticket in one of the yellow boxes at the station/platform prior to boarding. Failure to do so will result in a fine. The inspectors accept no excuses.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

giftzwerg,

Thanks for detailed information on transportation.

It is a good news that Como is doable for a day trip from Milan.

And I would further like to know:

1. Which city is most attractive for tourists (cultural points)?

2. Which city is easy to get accommodations (hotels)?

Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

We love Mantova for its cultural interests but younger members of our family have just returned from Verona (which we also visited some years ago) and said they would love to return as it had a great buzz.

Edited: 16 September 2011, 14:29
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

Yes, I would stay in Verona.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

Would just like to add that whereas Verona is a vibrant place, Mantova is dead in the evenings.

Reston, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

We just spent one night in Padova (or Padua), and we were blown away by its beauty. Apparently it has a history of great wealth, and you can see that. It is sparkling clean, and has gorgeous, surprising sites, such as the Palace of Law (Palazzo della Ragione) -- a ginormous room painted with everything from astrological symbols to saints. It has a wood ceiling, and a surprise -- a huge horse built of wood. Then there's the incredible chapel painted by Giotto (Cappella degli Scrovegni), which reminded me of the Sistine Chapel, the Basilica of St Anthony, and Prato della Valle, a surprising park filled with statues, a mini river running through it, and bridges. Padova also has a number of canals with romantic views from the bridges. I would say that Padova would be my choice over Verona, which was overrun by tourists running to see Juliet's house. Remember, Juliet is a made-up person.

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

I am living in Mantova for a year, and I would say that it is a wonderful place to stay if you don't want to be among loads of tourists, have interest in seeing old palaces, and don't mind trying to get by in Italian [or smiles with hand gestures]. I don't find Mantova dead at night, but we don't stay out too late and my idea of a nice evening is a dinner outside on the palazzo and walk around. I suppose the clubbing life is limited.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

Everyone, thank you for nice comments.

We will arrive at Lombardy on 19 October and will spend our time in the Po River area for half a month.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

We loved visiting Padua and think it would be lovely to stay there. Our stay in Mantova was amazing and quite unexpected. Loved the lack of tourists, the huge castle complex, the many churches as well as the squares and cafes.

…blogspot.com/2009/08/of-villas-and-palazzi-…

10. Re: Where to stay? Brescia? Bergamo? Mantova? or Verona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 21:18