We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

I will fly to Milan on 26/7 for 3 days. I like to be 1 day in Milan and than to take the train and go out of the city for 2 days. Any recomendations? I thought to go to Verona. I'll be alone I love historic towns, Art and people.

Any ideas will be very helpful

Thanks.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

consider either one:

1. venice - if you're going with your partner; the whole place smells of romance.

2. florence - scupture & architect. Piazza MichaelAngelo for romantic sunset

TIPS:

you do not need to stay 1 day at Milan before venturing out. instead, you can stay at Milan at the end of your trip. eg. if you're back on 8/8 flight, then better return on 7/8 and sleep in Milan for that night.

Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

Thank you so much for the tips. I have checked my schedule and I'll need to leave Milan on 29/7 for meeting nad work in Amsterdam. I'll be back to Italy on 12/8 till 19/8 than I'll fly back to the US. Now I have only 2.5 days in Milan before I'll leave. I need to decide if I should fly back to Milan go from there to Florence and Rome or fly to Rome and take a round trip to Florence for 2-3 What do you suggest.BTW I'll be alone.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

Hi there,

I visited Milan a few years ago and liked it but, you could easily look around in one day. The Cathedral and beautiful train station are both next to each other and although there are likely to be a few places of interest to see, it is an industrial town geared up towards shopping.

Rome - you could spend a week sight seeing there! It's a gorgeous place with lots to do so will keep you busy for a while. It is quite a distance from Milan though so I would do it as a separate trip. I have been there a few times and still haven't seen it all!

Florence - you could do in one day no problem. Maybe combine a trip to Siena which is totally medieval and untouched by the modern world and is a good sized town with nice shops, winding streets and an amazing main square. I lived there and would always recommend it!

Milan/Lakes/Bergamo. - if you just have the 2.5 days in Milan then maybe have the last day in Milan (as previously suggested) and spend the other 1.5 days either visiting Bergamo (you can get a bus outside the train station right up to the old town or, stop at the bottom of the funiculare (cable car) and take that up. Has lovely views although it's quite flat below.

We went to the Lakes i.e. Como - which was about 1.5hrs from Bergamo but closer from Milan. It is pretty and there is a very long and very steep cable car (more like a train) which goes up the side of one of the mountains to get spectactular views!

Verona is worth a visit - Venice needs a bit longer but we got married there. You could take a tour and combine Verona & Venice together and they will show you all the main sights - probably in one day. Might be worth it if you are short of time!

Have a nice time!

Tani

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
809 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

26/7 touch down MXP, take a airport bus to Milan Centrale Train station (board at exit 5/6, pay bus driver directly), then take the next train to Venice(buy at machine or big trenitalia ticket counter).

27/7 venice; take vaporreto; loss yourself.

28/7 morning or afternoon train from venice to Milan. At Milan, check into your hotel (preferably near train station). Take Metro (1 euro, buy at ticket counter) to Duomo stop. Spend the rest of day within 200m radius. tips: shop at ZARA.

29/7 travel day

Assuming that you can fly open jaw:

12/8 Fly to Florence or Pisa airport. bus/train to Florence (sleep in Florence)

13/8 Florence

14/8 Florence

15/8 bus to Siena (buy bus ticket at ticket counter next to Florence train station; when arrived at Siena bus station, go downstair and buy next day bus ticket to Rome; sleep Siena)

16/8 bus to Rome, take Metro to hotel (buy Metro ticket from tobacco shop 1 euro; sleep Rome, near metro station or your idea attaction. eg. St Peter Sq)

17/8 Rome

18/8 Rome

19/8 home sweet home

Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

Dear Tani

Thank you so much for your reply. You gave me so much important information. I booked a hotel through PriceLine not sure how good it is, the name is Nh Milano Touring, half way between the train station and Dumo.I plan to spend Sun. afternoon in Milan, I know everything will be closed.On Monday I will go to Verona and spend there the nigh. Any hotel recomendation in Verona? and on Tuse.Bergamo.

Any recomendation what to do on Sunday afternoon evening in Milano, where to go to eat and walk around to feel the city?

Any tips for Verona?

Thank you again for all the goos information.

Beth.

Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

Hi There,

You should be a travel agent !!!

Thanks for all the wonderful tips.

I haved few questions. What i sthe best way to get to town from the airport?. I will stay in a hotel half the way between the train station and the Dumo. I'll be in MIlan at about 4-5 PM Sunday. Any suggestions what to do for the rest of the evening, I'll be alone (a female). On Monday I plan to go to Verona and sleep there (does it make sense) and leave on the 28 to Bergamo from VERONA, returning on 28 at night to Milano. Does it all make sense?

Any tips for Verona will help what to do there in the evening, where to sit and eat or walk.

My return flight on 12/8 can be booked to Milan or Rome. I thought of flying to Rome and end up in Milan and leave home from Milan.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

Hi Beth,

Are you an opera fan? If you are, you have to see the opera at the Arena in Verona. Aida (THE opera to see) is showing on 7/26 and 7/28. If you're not, please ignore what I'd written.

Instead of going to Bergamo for the day, why don't you stay in Verona? Less hectic this way.

Have fun!

Your fellow Singaporean.

Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

Hi my Singaporean friend.

I am a great fan of the Opera. I love your idea of seeing Aida. Where can I get a ticket to the Opera? Any tip for a hotel in Verona?

Thanks

"Ang Mo" Singaporean

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

Re Aida, go to www.arena.it.

Re hotel, I stayed at a B&B www.designrooms.it. I stayed there last Aug, it was new, and very, very clean, and only 50 m from the Arena. However, this is the opera season, it may be very difficult to find a room in Verona. I'm sure there are still rooms available if you look hard. Good luck!

Singapore
Level Contributor
180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to see around MIlan for 3 days.

I already bought a ticket. Thanks for all your good tips.

Beth