We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

2 posts
Save Topic
Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

I hired a car through Advantage at Bergamo Airport in July 2012, because they were the cheapest option. I have regretted it since! After waiting an age at their 'office' to pick a car up, when it eventually arrived it was an old, scratched thing that I reluctantly accepted (given that I'd pre-paid and the alternative was to go elsewhere at additional cost). I highlighted additional damage to the car that was not on their diagram and even got my wife to photograph the car's damage on her i-phone prior to driving it. I returned the car a few days later in EXACTLY the same condition as when I picked it up. I thought everything was okay. TWO MONTHS LATER I HAVE A CHARGE FROM 'AUTONOLEGGIO HERTZ' (who?) relating to damage to this vehicle for 200EURO. I am currently trying to get my credit card company to investigate but suspect this will be to no avail. I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE THINKING OF HIRING A CAR AT BERGAMO AIRPORT TO AVOID THESE PEOPLE LIKE THE PLAGUE. THIS 'COMPANY' IS NOT FIT TO DO BUSINESS IN MY OPINION.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

There's another recent topic about this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187830-i816-k5968…

spain
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

happened to me just the same.

The car was a Ford Fiesta 1.2 (DW250JV) and rented from 27 Aug. 2012 to 31 Aug 2012.

We have collected € 129 for a damage that we did not ....

I'm outraged!

I am looking for people who would have done the same and to be in the same car and same dates!

Guarda, Portugal
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

My name is Luis Figueiredo, from Portugal and I have exactley the same problem.

When I handed the car he was in a park at about 2000m from where I handed the documents. they refused to do the checking of the car with me.

A few weeks later withdrew me € 129.

After several claim sent me a document that was signed but have subsequently been filled where they contained damage at the rear of the vehicle.

I note that when the time of delivery of the car they insisted insistently for me to pay 80 € more for insurance to cover any damage in the car. I don't accepted because I had chosen that company to pay only 50 € for 4 days rental.

the car was delivered to me was about 100.000km

scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

I hired a car through doyouitaly although I didn't know it was advantage - it was from Firefly. I was overcharged and then now 4 months later thay have charged me the same inflated amount again - for no reason at all

London, England...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

Car hire company Firefly at Bergamo Airport is fraudulent

Have charged my card a second time!!

BEWARE

This should be stopped NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

Exactly the same happened to me - through doyouitaly - ended up with firefly. 5 months later (feb) credit card transaction for exactly the same amount - but to Autonoleggo Hertz Sesto San Gio Italy.

Only noticed it today -

Do not use these fraudsters

St. Petersburg...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

there is a proverb: Stingy pays twice! This is about us when we tried to save some money hiring the car from Goldcar rental ( hired thru the Economy car rental resource) in Bergamo Orio al Serio.

Goldcar rental is the WORST car rental company I ever used!!!

Our has flight arrived 1 hour later than it had to. After arrival, having picked up our luggage, we went to the meeting point in Bergamo airport, where the GOLDCAR shuttle had to pick us up and drive to the parking lot, as indicated in the Car Rental e-Voucher. We waited for 1 hour !!! for the Goldcar shuttle while shuttles of other car rental companies were arriving every 10-15 minutes. When finally the Goldcar shuttle arrived and we reached the parking lot we realized that the Goldcar parking office was already closed!!! We were told that the representative of Goldcar company left just 10 min before we arrived, having said that he could not wait longer any more!!! So, we came out to be left without the car (which we rented and for which we paid the advance) having 2 kids with us at night time.

Having returned to Bergamo airport, we had nothing else to do, but to rent the car from Hertz ( which always had been reliable as per our previous experience). As far as our hotel was rented far away from Bergamo we could not return next day at 9/00 am to collect the car that we rented from Goldcar Rental.

As far as:

1/ in the Car Rental e-Voucher or anywhere else in the documents provided there was no indication that Goldcar Rental does not work 24 hours per day 2/ Telephone which was provided in the Voucher, which I was calling, was not responding 3/ Shuttle commuting was not organized in a proper way ( very rare!) 4/ Goldcar Rental does not account for flight delays to Bergamo, which happen quite often, and do not provide back up service for this kind of circumstances 5/ Nobody from Goldcar called my mobile phone ( which was provided!!), knowing that we had to collect the car late in the evening, and ask why we are not coming

.. I consider this kind of services to be unacceptable and I am very disappointed having dealt with the Goldcar Rental company. This incident has spoiled my vocation in Italy, the country that we love and which always has been so hospitable for us .

England
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

My wife and I hired a car through Firefly in Bergamo airport in October 2013. Immediately after I found a charge on my credit card from Advantage International. Stupidly I let it go at the time, because it was a small charge and I couldn't be certain that it wasn't legitimate. But 5 months later, my credit card was charged again, the same amount. I contacted my credit card company and they said it is a dispute rather than fraud as Firefly/Advantage appear to be the same company. However, they said they'd look into it. No another month on, I've had another larger charge on my credit card, but this time from Hertz. 6 months on from our long weekend in Italy. Credit card company now treating it as fraud.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 17:41
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

I have had two very similar problems recently.

Firstly, I'd just like to say that when I rented a car from Firefly in September 2013 they were reasonably priced, very helpful in the office, and the car was spacious, comfortable and good value.

But! I received a mysterious charge to my credit card in February this year. My credit card company pursued them for a receipt, but when I got it it simply said the charge was for car hire. I already paid them for the car hire in September so I sent Firefly two emails requesting a detailed account of the recent charge - they didn't reply to either, but the charge was refunded a month later.

But again! I just noticed another charge on my card from a week ago, which was taken by another car hire company called Telegest which is located a 45 minute drive from Firefly at Bergamo airport. I have reported it as a fraudulent charge with my card provider and cancelled the card. It all seems a little too cosy. Either they're a bunch of crooks in cahoots, or they've been sloppy with my credit card details. Either way, if people want to do business with them (and as I said, we had a good experience at the time) be very very careful with your credit card afterwards. Keep an eye on your bill!

scotland
Level Contributor
27 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advantage Car Hire, Bergamo Airport - Use at your Peril!

Exactly the same has happened to me and I think we will have to cancel our credit card. We rented from Firefly in October last year and paid in full by credit card at the time. Between March and April this year we have been charged again for the full rental plus three additional admin charges. No explanation has been provided and we have challenged all these extra charges. However this takes time to refute and a lot of trouble. Firefly have been very poor in dealing with this both in terms of content and timing. Avoid at all costs