We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

I arrive at MXP at 6:50, and thanks to your great advice on this forum I've worked out that I'll take the 9:15 Orio bus to BGY and will arrive at 11:00. I'm on a Ryanair flight to Krakow at 16:05. I was thinking that it would be fun to have a driver meet me at BGY and take me on a little tour of Bergamo, stopping to take some photos, etc., for about an hour and a half before depositing me back at the airport. Does anyone have a recommendation for a private driver who does this type of thing? I suppose I might be able to organize it with a taxi driver waiting at the airport, but I don't speak any Italian other than what's found on a menu.

I'd thought about just taking the bus and walking around but I'll have luggage. I wont' have time to deal with finding a left luggage facility and doubt the airline will check me in 5 hours early (but will investigate this). It would be easier with a private driver as I could leave my stuff in the trunk. And, since time will be of the essence, I will avoid getting lost, etc.

Is this a feasible plan? Expensive?

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,552 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

Hi!

I'm afraid I have no personal experience with private drivers. However I found this link on Bergamo Airport web page:

sacbo.it/Editorial/…

You could try to contact them and ask for price:

It may be expensive.

Otherwise you can get off the Orio Express bus at the railway station. There's a luggage deposito near the bus station on the other side of the square from the station.

http://www.depositobagagli.it/?lang=en

Then take the number one bus up to Bergamo Alta and back to the station. Pick up your luggage and take the shuttle bus to the airport.

First check the deposit is still working because I have no updated information.

Bye :)

Edited: 25 June 2013, 13:26
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

Thanks so much. I'll email the taxi company.

I had seen the info on the left luggage facility and visited its webpage, but was a little worried about having enough time to deposit and pick up the luggage. But since that means staying on the bus and eliminating the taxi step, perhaps it could work. I'm not going until Sept so I have plenty of time to work it out. Thanks!

Bergamo, Italy
Level Contributor
103 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

There are some private drivers in Bergamo that work with Banks and big companies. I may be able to find a number, but are you sure you want to spend something between 150/200 euro, when you can take a bus and walk around?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

Definitely wouldn't spend that much. That's 4 times more than my Ryanaid flight!

I did email the taxi company recommended above, and they will give me 2 hours for 60 euros. It's a lot more than the bus, of course, but seems fair and gives me more certainty since I'm pressed for time. Thanks for offering though!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

You all gave me great advice, and I neglected to report back on how my trip went. I'll do so now, in hopes that it will help someone else out.

I took the 9:20 Orio shuttle from Malpensa Airport to the Bergamo airport, arriving a little before 11:00 a.m. My Ryanair flight to Krakow was at 4pm. I could have stayed on the Orio shuttle all the way to the Bergamo train station, but I wanted to see if I could go ahead and check my luggage in early(I couldn't).

There was a tourism office in Bergamo airport (near the arrivals area) and the representative there was helpful. She explained how to take the bus to the gate at the northwest corner of the city, and sold me a 2-way ticket. She also provided me with a map of the Citta Alta, and showed me where I could leave my luggage for my trip into the city.

The luggage drop was in a separate building in the corner of the airport parking lot, but just a few feet from the bus stop. It was a couple of euros, and I had to show my passport and fill out a form.

From there, I hopped on to the bus, which took about 15 minutes to reach my destination, stopping frequently along the way. The Colle Aperto is the last stop, and is a perfect starting point for exploring this small city. I wandered up and down the streets, taking photos from every angle. I didn't have time to go into any churches or museums, but did take the funicular up (and almost immediately back down) just to get the views. Bergamo is really a charming city, and I'm so glad I didn't squander this time in the airport.

I wanted to stop for lunch in one of the many sidewalk cafes, but after sitting at a table for 15 minutes without getting served I was too worried about time and left at about 1:30. I picked up the bus back to the airport, right across the street from where I'd been left off, confirming with the driver that I was going back to the airport.

I had plenty of time to retrieve my luggage and make the flight. The security line was ridiculously long, but Ryanair didn't start boarding until about 15 minutes before departure and I had a reserved seat anyway.

So, for anyone with a 4-5 hour layover, or more, I'd encourage you to take this easy trip into Bergamo to see this lovely city. Thanks all for the advice.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,552 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

Thanks JAtlanta for your feedback!

I'm glad you managed to make the best of your layover and enjoyed Bergamo.

I'm sure your feedback will be useful for many other people.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,552 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

I've put your information among the Top Questions.

Thanks!

8. Re: Seeing Bergamo During a Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16