We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

Which Bergamo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
5 posts
Save Topic
Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

Goldcar rental is the WORST car rental company I ever used!!! And their partner Economy Car rental did not help us to resolve the situation

Our has flight arrived 1 hour later than it had to. After arrival, having picked up our luggage, we went to the meeting point in Bergamo airport, where the GOLDCAR shuttle had to pick us up and drive to the parking lot, as indicated in the Car Rental e-Voucher. We waited for 1 hour !!! for the Goldcar shuttle while shuttles of other car rental companies were arriving every 10-15 minutes. When finally the Goldcar shuttle arrived and we reached the parking lot we realized that the Goldcar parking office was already closed!!! We were told that the representative of Goldcar company left just 10 min before we arrived, having said that he could not wait longer any more!!! So, we came out to be left without the car (which we rented and for which we paid the advance) having 2 kids with us at night time.

Having returned to Bergamo airport, we had nothing else to do, but to rent the car from Hertz ( which always had been reliable as per our previous experience). As far as our hotel was rented far away from Bergamo we could not return next day at 9/00 am to collect the car that we rented from Goldcar Rental.

As far as:

1/ in the Car Rental e-Voucher or anywhere else in the documents provided there was no indication that Goldcar Rental does not work 24 hours per day 2/ Telephone which was provided in the Voucher, which I was calling, was not responding 3/ Shuttle commuting was not organized in a proper way ( very rare!) 4/ Goldcar Rental does not account for flight delays to Bergamo, which happen quite often, and do not provide back up service for this kind of circumstances 5/ Nobody from Goldcar called my mobile phone ( which was provided!!), knowing that we had to collect the car late in the evening, and ask why we are not coming

.. I consider this kind of services to be unacceptable and I am very disappointed having dealt with the Goldcar Rental company. This incident has spoiled my vocation in Italy, the country that we love and which always has been so hospitable for us .

120 replies to this topic
Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,037 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

I'm very sorry for your bad experience.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

Your post convinces me even more now that it's always best to rent from the bigger guys, they do cost more but you're covered for things like this, I'm really sorry you had such a negative experience and thanks for posting this as it will help others.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

Just a thought but didn't you have a contact number that you could have called as soon as you got to the airport, I know you said they had your number but I don't think i woud have waited an hour for the shuttle bus without trying to contact them.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

But from what I know there is a common shuttle bus which takes you to the common parking lot of all the major car rentals located at the west end of the Bergamo airport! Does Goldcar has a parking lot and shuttle bus apart? Strange!

Edited: 16 April 2014, 23:15
Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

gold car rentals is to the east of the airport but advertise as park n go on the shuttle bus. the office based in the industrial units under the motorway

Manchester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

Completely agree, aggressive selling of extra cover, farcical fuel charge and then a £370 bill for a tiny mark on the car, would not recommend to my worst enemy.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

There are a lot of complaints about this company on the Spanish forums, at first they appear to be the cheapest but after they add everything on they turn out to be the most expensive.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

Completely concur with these posts. I used Goldcar at Bergamo this week and getting a shuttle was confusing, the agent who rented us the car was arrogant and very aggressive in trying to sell insurance, and they charged us more than a hundred euros for a tank of petrol. When we asked if we could simply return the tank full, they said that we would incur 'penalty charges' if we did so! And to cap it all off, the car had way more damage than shown on the rental documents. I will NEVER rent a car with Goldcar Bergamo again!

New Leeds, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

I agree THEY REALLY ARE THE WORST -AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS !!! My experience is regarding their complete lack of customer service - rude as well as intimidating. The real concern is when they try to almost bully you into buying extras - mainly the collision damage waiver. When you don't buy this you leave €1200 deposit. Gold car challenge then is to see how much of it they can retain. I went round my rental and pointed out some pretty obvious damage marks and marked them on the diagram. I missed the fact that the little fin at the back should also have an 'antenna' screwed into it. On my return to Gold car it took their guy all of 15 seconds to point out it was missing - and it was not marked on my damage diagram so I would have to pay. I argued it hadn't been there when

I took the car. They don't listen and tell you to sign the document showing it's now missing! I refused and accused them of a scam - at least 5 other cars parked around mine in Goldcar parking had no antenna! It got to the point where I encouraged Diego to call the police - which he went through the motions of doing ( did he actually connect with them??) I sat and waited for half an hour- no Police and I had to leave to get my flight. Not surprisingly they took € 86 off me for a little screw in aerial. They are terrible and bad mannered and intimidating

New Leeds, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!

Despite contacting them 5 times now by email they do not reply. They are intent on just taking some of your deposit knowing that we, the customers will have extreme difficulty trying to get any refund. They rely on the fact we are about to leave the country when we hand the car back and they intimidate non Italian customers! They should be investigated by Italian trading standards as they don't live up to anything like the standard expected. Italy, this company lets you down badly!!

Reply to: Goldcar Rental the WORST car rental company!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted