We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergamo mountains in January

Malta
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bergamo mountains in January

I am planning a short break during the first 5 days (1-5/1) of January 2015 in Bergamo. We would like to stay in the hopefully snowy mountains (since we don't have snow in Malta). This will be the first snowy experience for my 13 and 9 years old children. Where is the best place to stay where we can enjoy the snow and so some fun activities like toboggan ect and have fantastic view. Normally what is the weather like during January?

Do we have to rent a car or we manage to travel by public transport?. What else can we do?. We are nature lovers. Obviously we would also like to visit the city of Bergamo.

Thanks

Angele

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Hi!

The places where it's more probable to find snow are: Foppolo, San Simone and Carona. The last few years we haven't had much snow so maybe control the webcams of these places.

If you're planning to have many trips you'll be better off with a car. There are buses to and from these places but they don't run very often during the day. It'd be OK for a trip to Bergamo.

Bye :)

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Just noticed your dates. You had better book in advance as many people go skiing in those days.

Malta
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Thanks Girella for your reply. You're right - I had to book in advance.

I've found a good Hotel in Castione delle Presolana. Is the area nice and good? Is there any activities to do?

I'm still waiting for replies from a hotel in the area you suggested me. If I do not manage to stay in that area, for sure I will go for the day.

Thanks once again.

Angele

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Castione is a nice village but as I can't ski I never go there in winter so I can't tell you which activities there are. Sorry :[

Malta
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Is Gromo/Ardesio area nice? Do you suggest to stay there?

Thanks

Bergamo, Italy
Level Contributor
103 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Close to Ardesio, Spiazzi di Gromo is a small local sky destination, but the only two real sky destinations here are Foppolo (1) and Carona (2). Honeslty i wouldn't spend my holidays in Ardesio. If you have a car you can stay in castione which is nice and a bit lively and then drive. Just, during winter, it may be not easy to switch "valley". So if you are in Castione, then it is not easy going to Foppolo which is in the other valley.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

I quote @Bridgerobe. I, too, would prefer Carona.

Bye :)

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Ops meant Castione!

Malta
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Thanks everyone for your useful advises. I've just booked in Castione della Presolana. Can't wait to be there now!!!!

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bergamo mountains in January

Enjoy your stay!