We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Bellagio or Como?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Bellagio or Como?

We are finishing our 8 night trip to Italy in late May with a 3 night visit to Lake Como. We will be arriving after 2 nights in Venice (and 3 nights in Rome). We MUST stay in the town of Como on our last night, as we are taking an early train to MXP for a 10:20 am departure back to EWR.

Ideally, we would love to stay in Bellagio, as we have heard it is beautiful. We have a reservation at Hotel Centrale in Bellagio for 130 euro/night. However, I am concerned that we may be doing too much traveling and hotel switching. We should hopefully be arriving into Como around noon via train from Venice, and would then take the ferry to Bellagio. That gives us a day and a half to explore Bellagio, Varenna, etc. We would check out of our hotel on our last full day in Italy and head down to Como to check into our final hotel and explore the Como area.

Am I being too wide eyed about all of this? Should I just simplify it and stay in Como for all three nights, and just take day trips to Bellagio and Varenna? If so, does anyone have recommendations of good hotels in Como in the same price range as Hotel Centrale?

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
535 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Bellagio or Como?

Only you can know what's best for you, but unless you're traveling with small children or enormous luggage I don't think taking those two nights in Bellagio would be too much hassle. Bellagio and Varenna are smaller, more charming towns and more scenic than the city of Como (in my small-town, up-lake opinion), and your last move will just be a half-hour hydrofoil away. If you book something in the Piazza Cavour area of Como, you'll be able to just roll your suitcases across the square from the ferry landing to check in and you'll be well positioned to catch the Le Nord line train (also just across from the ferry landing) to Saronno and MXP.

Happy travels!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Bellagio or Como?

I would suggest that, to get to Bellagio, you take the train to Varenna and then the short ferry trip to Bellagio. Then when you are leaving Bellagio, you have the different long ferry trip to Como.

In my opinion, although Como is mildly interesting, it does not have the character or the views of Bellagio. I think you would do well to have a night in Bellagio.

3. Re: Stay in Bellagio or Como?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 11:18