We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

valencia
Level Contributor
29 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

...and am still trying to figure out what would be best for us. Quite a few hotels are full during our dates (April 9-13), but I did find a few good options that I think may suite us.

They are-->

Hotel Villa Aurora (lezzeno)

Hotel Centrale (bellagio)

Hotel La Dorsena (tremezzo)

My wife and I will be traveling without a car. We are looking for a nice place to relax, hike a little, enjoy good coffee and good views.

My question is, which hotel would you recommend for us?? We will be arriving the 9th in the evening and flying out of Bergamo on the 13th in the afternoon.

We are up for switching hotels one night if that is necessary. Also, we'd like a lake view and not to spend more than 130-140 euros. The places I mentioned have lake views and come in under budget.

Thanks for your help!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

Bellagio is a beautiful town with lots of things to see and do.

Tremezzo is equally beautiful - with Villa Carlotta right there - but much smaller and quieter.

I'm not familiar with Lezzeno.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

Bellagio would be my pick...have you looked at Hotel Metropole for waterfront views ?

EM.

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

Without a car, you're probably going to be happiest in either Tremezzo or Bellagio, which have more frequent ferry service. Hotel Villa Aurora (which is the spiffy new building across the street and right on the water) should have great views, but Lezzeno gets cut off from public transport ridiculously early (last bus back from Bellagio leaves just before 7 p.m., the last ferry at 5 p.m.), so your wining & dining options would be limited in the evenings unless you splurged on a taxi.

Of the two other hotels you mentioned I would lean toward La Darsena -- I've never actually seen inside the rooms, but the location, exterior & reception are lovely, and you're right on the Greenway walk (http://tinyurl.com/yhrzgbh) for easy strolling along the lakeside.

If you decide you prefer Bellagio, I would recommend double checking on the Hotel Centrale regarding their lake view rooms if you have your hearts set on one. They're up the stairs a ways from the waterfront, and I imagine they might have one or two "lake glimpse" rooms, but the vast majority will be garden- or courtyard-facing or whatever.

Have a wonderful trip,

Kat

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

Have you checked Varenna? - Lovely town!

http://www.varennaitaly.com/english.html

Varenna has a train station - It's an easy hour by train from Milan Centrale and a short ferry from Bellagio.

http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/com/nlc.html

Vagabonda

Valencia
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

Thanks everybody for your answers.

I have looked at Hotel Metropole, but that seems more expensive than the other hotels.

I did not know that Lezzeno gets cut off from everywhere else so early! The hotel Villa Aurora easily has the best rates out of any of the other hotels. It may be worth it to us to get a car for those few days, as it will still come out cheaper.

La Darsena does look like a nice place, a nice location, and not bad prices. This could be a very good option for us.

As far as Varenna, I have looked at that a bit. There seem to be quite a nice selection of hotels there as well. I may look further into it.

How well is Varenna connected with the other towns around the lake?

Is renting a car worthwhile??

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

hi,

IMO you don't need a car in Lake Como - just use the ferry service. However, we did have one but we hardly ever used it apart from driving from Milan and continuing on our journey...the main reason its painful is there is limited parking. I guess it depends whether you are traveling onwards to another destination.

Ferries go between Cadenabbia, Bellagio, Menaggio and Varenna.

EM.

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

Varenna is probably pretty comparable to Bellagio for ferry frequency, although the high-speed boats that run between Como and the northernmost part of the lake don't stop there (which may not matter to you, depending on where you want to spend most of your time). For those, you'd have to hop a ferry to Bellagio first. You can find more specifics on the water system Web site (www.navigazionelaghi.it)

If you're staying in a central, well-connected town, a car will only be an extra hassle. If, however, you find it that you can save some cash or relax more by staying somewhere just outside the hot spots (and you're not an especially nervous driver as roads are windy and sometimes narrow), a car can grant you the extra freedom to come, go and stay as you please.

Kat

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

With (good) connections by train and ferry, you wouldn't need a car in Varenna.

Varenna:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187835-i497-k3228…

www.trekearth.com/search.php…

Vagabonda

Ulrichstein
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

I find the other side , not the Varenna-side much more beautiful, and there are ferrries from Tremezzo/ Cadenabbia to go to Varenna, Bellagio , Como etc.

10. Re: Where to stay in Lake Como. I've been doing some research..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2010, 05:17