We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Como S. Giovanni to Zurich HB with Swiss Pass?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Como S. Giovanni to Zurich HB with Swiss Pass?

I'm trying to figure out which rail pass is best for our trip.

While we'll spend most of our time in Switzerland (7 nights before traveling down to Lake Como, then back to Zurich for overnight before morning flight), we do have 3 nights in Bellagio planned before our return flight out of Zurich.

I am unclear of where the Swiss Pass runs out on these journeys to and from Como. If I can see the full route on www.sbb.ch, will the whole fare be covered?

Logical thought tells me that we'd need to buy supplemental tickets for the Italy portions. However, on the Swiss rail system I see a direct train from Como S Giovanni to Zurich. If there's no changes, where does the fare differ?

On our way to Bellagio from Berner Oberland, it's even less clear what our additional costs would be. I can find Murren through Mennagio or Locarno into Italy but I'm not sure how to figure out the extra fare.

Before I make a decision for our train passes, I want to get the full picture.

Can anyone help clear this up?

I will post on Switzerland Forum as well.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,723 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Como S. Giovanni to Zurich HB with Swiss Pass?

Pass runs out at Chiasso. But in Italy I believe that with a Swiss Pass you can book journeys from Como San Giovanni into Switzerland at a much reduced rate, by using a special pass code such as 'GA Switzerland' that sbb will give you You can then find the fare in the 'select your fare' options on http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html - that code gives a fare to Zurich of only €8.70

I don't understand about going to Bellagio via Locarno, as it sounds like a very indirect route. Good for Lake Maggiore, but not for Lake Como. But from Locarno you could go to Bellagio via Bellinzona and Como, in which case Chiasso is the border again. Or to Lugano then the Italian bus to Menaggio then the ferry, in which case the border is Oria 20 minutes out of Lugano on the bus. But I don't know if your pass is valid to there or at all.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Como S. Giovanni to Zurich HB with Swiss Pass?

Thank you perilizia! I will check out the site and information you recommended.

I'll need to get from Murren to Bellagio and then Bellagio to Zurich. Any recommendations on easiest routes you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Can you share any information about the best way to get to Bellagio either from Como or another recommended spot accessible from Murren?

Specifically regarding our time in Bellagio, can you advise how much we can expect to spend getting around town and touring the lake? And getting from Bellagio to Como for our return trip to Zurich?

I'm pretty clueless at this point, just trying to figure out the details to sort out our budget and itinerary.

3. Re: Como S. Giovanni to Zurich HB with Swiss Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2010, 05:18