We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Car hire stress...

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Car hire stress...

Hi, we are a group of 5 adults and 2 small children (2,5) visiting Ossuccio for 12 days and are stuck on what to do about travel when we get there.

So far, our options are to hire 2 cars from Malpensa for the full 12 days, or to arrange private transfer from the airport plus car hire for a few days.

What would be the best option? Am I right that we would have to travel to Como to pick up a hire car? Also what is the typical ferry fare (say from Lenno to Como),and how far a walk is it from Ossuccio to the Lenno ferry?

We travel in less than 3 weeks, so any advice to help usmake our mind up would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Car hire stress...

Depending on where you're staying in Ossuccio, you're going to have around 1-2 km to walk for the Lenno boat dock. I don't know what kind of plans you have for your stay in terms of moving around versus staying put and relaxing, but here's my take ...

I imagine that with what you'd probably wind up shelling out for private transfer for everyone, plus the hassle of shepherding everyone with two toddlers into Como to pick up a short rental, plus the hydrofoil tickets to Como (€9.50 per person, 30 minutes) or slow boat (€6.50, 1.5+ hours) ... you may find it more convenient to just rent the two cars (or, easier still, a van for all of you) directly at the airport on arrival. For a 12-day stay, it just seems to like it would make everything simpler, but it will depend on your own preferences and what kind of mobility you feel you need.

(AutoEurope is running a "free GPS with rental" deal in Italy at the moment and usually has good longer-term deals as well as great customer service.)

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Car hire stress...

Thank you for your help Kat, I think weighing up the options you are right about the full car hire. Minibuses are really expensive, so will probably 2 separate cars as it's about half the price (plus going with in-laws so might be handy to split up for for the day!)...

Fantastic and thanks again.

3. Re: Help! Car hire stress...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 06:28