We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

We are arriving at Bergamo airport 17;40 on 11th September 2010 . I see there is now an express bus to Menaggio which would be perfect but it only has 3 buses a day and the only one would be 22;00. We are a senior couple so what is the easiest way to Menaggio.Is there any other private shuttle buses? Taxis and limos are out of our range. Thanks.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

Hi

The cheapest way would be to get the train from Bergamo through Lecco and onto Varenna. Usually there's no need to change trains at Lecco. From Varenna station it's a short walk to the ferry port which has a regular ferry from Varenna to Menaggio.

This may not be ideal if you are not active or are carrying heavy bags but it's very a interesting and picturesque journey costing around 10 - 15 euros each.

By the way - there is a regular bus service from the airport dropping you off right outside the train station. I'm not sure if it's free or around 1 euro each.

Hope this helps.

Jude

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

Just wanted to add the links to help work out what martdoch suggested:

Orio Airport bus to Bergamo railway station:

www.atb.bergamo.it/user/Default.aspx…

Train:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Ferry Varenna - Menaggio:

navigazionelaghi.it/eng/…nlc_ora_t4a_e.html

As you can see this means being able to get to Varenna before 19.55. and, looking at the timetables, it seems rather difficult.

Bye :)

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

#2 was too optimistic -- it is just impossible for you to make that last ferry from Varenna to Menaggio. Aside from trains always requiring a change at Lecco station (contrary to #1's advice), in your case the only one you might hope to catch leaves Bergamo train station at 18.15 and arrives at Varenna at 19.52, i.e. 3 minutes before the ferry sails away (and it is a 10-minute walk from the station to the pier).

Other alternatives by public transport without using ferries are not usable either under the circumstances (there is a scheduled bus from Como to Menaggio, but the last ride is at 20.35 -- too early for you to make it).

It just looks as if the Lake Como Express bus might be your best bet, in spite of the long wait at BGY airport -- just note that the bus continues to Menaggio only if they have advance bookings, so book ahead if you wish to take that!

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

Thank you for all your responses. I can see that although there are lots of transport options we seem to miss all of them by only a few minutes. I am surprised that with the amount of tourism the area gets there is no coordinated bus systems. I had checked out there was transport before I booked but did not take into consideration that they dont co ordinate. The new Airport./Lake Como express bus seems desperately needed as the private transport costs are so expensive.It seems tourism is geared to suit "George Clooney" type incomes.

Being seniors I dont fancy waiting til 22:35 and not getting to Menaggio till after 1 am.Another option I found was Varenna a ferry leaving I think at 10 minutes past midnight. How long would it take to Menaggio/ Also how long approximately would it take to exit customs and pick up luggage at the airport.?A private car would cost about 130Euro to Varenna and the ferry leaves 19:55 and 00:10 would I be likely to make the 19:55 if our plane arrives at 17:40? Thanks for any assistance.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

Have you considered staying near the airport or in Bergamo for the night and leaving for Menaggio the day after?

This hotel is right next to the airport:

nh-hotels.com/nh/…

Bye :)

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

Exiting customs and claiming your luggage can probably take 30 minutes or less -- BGY is a small airport.

But it is unlikely that you are going to make that 19.55 ferry even if you travel to varenna by taxi/limo/whatever.

The 0010 ferry only leaves on Sat. nights., therefore sept 11 being a Sat. that could be an option. You could have a fancy dinner in varenna and proceed to Menaggio after that.

Or if you prefer to wait and take the direct bus from BGY. you could leave your lyuggage in storage and walk about 15 minutes to the 'Orio Center', a huge shopping mall, to kill time waiting for the bus (it's open until very late).

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

Thank you so much for your replies. It looks like we might just have to get private transport as the other options are just too onerous.At least I know not to take the chance of missing public transport. Cheers.

8. Re: Bergamo Airport to Menaggio Express Bus.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 05:17