We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips to buy bus ticket & navigating stations: Como-Bellagio

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tips to buy bus ticket & navigating stations: Como-Bellagio

We'll visit Bellagio in Mid-September, arriving on a Wednesday afternoon by train to Como S. Giovanni station (from Switzerland). Then return on a Saturday morning (very early) for our train connection back to Zurich.

I know that our options are the C30 bus or fast ferry. I'm leaning toward the bus option because it seems easier, cheaper, and just about the same amount of time.

When arriving into Como S. Giovanni train station, where do we buy tickets for the bus and where do we catch the bus? Do you bring luggage onto the bus with you (we'll be carrying hiker style backpacks)?

On the return, the C30 line lists two Como Stations (and a 3rd listed right after Bellagio titled S. Giovanni...to keep things confusing). I assume we'll disembark at the last Como Station, labled Stazione FS for the Como S. Giovanni train station.

If we decide to take the fast ferry back to Como, how reliable is it timing wise? We're trying to catch the earliest connection (7:36) into Zurich so we have as much time in the city that night before flying home in the morning.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,208 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips to buy bus ticket & navigating stations: Como-Bellagio

Although I have no specific info about that bus because I never caught it, the general rule is that tickets must be bought before boarding. Usually newsstands or tobacconists carry them. A good place to try could be the coffee bar at Como SG station. The #C30 bus leaves from outside the station.

An alternative (since you say you are traveling light) could be to get off the train at Lugano and take #C12 bus to Menaggio fom there, then the boat for the short hop from Menaggio to Bellagio. Note that this bus doesn't leave from the Lugano train station, so a short taxi/bus ride or walk to the bus stop would be required.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips to buy bus ticket & navigating stations: Como-Bellagio

Thanks FF, we'll head right to the coffee shop in the station. I would not have considered that.

Since we'll have so many train connections to get from the Berner Oberland regio to Como, we may go with the most direct over additional connections. But I'll be sure to check out the alternate you suggested.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips to buy bus ticket & navigating stations: Como-Bellagio

Just returned from our trip and thought I'd post my findings in case anyone searches this topic later.

Tickets for the C30 bus line to Bellagio must be purchased at the Cafe/Bar directly behind the bus stop (2.75 Euros one way). The kiosk at the far end of the station lobby has a sign indicating 'Bus Tickets' but they do not sell for that line.

Additionally, there is no ATM located in the train station. The closest is about a 5-10 minute walk away on the main street. Go down the large staircase to the main traffic intersection, turn left (don't cross) and you'll see a bank on the left within a block or two.

That being said...the Bar does have some other types of currencies and would have accepted payment for the bus tickets in Swiss Francs and even been able to give some change if necessary. I wish I would have asked that question before treking down to the bank and back.

4. Re: Tips to buy bus ticket & navigating stations: Como-Bellagio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 08:16