We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury in Lake Como

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Luxury in Lake Como

My husband and I are planning a trip to Lake Como and looking for upscale accommodations. We would like to stay in a place that is somewhat removed from tourist activity (i.e. the center of Bellagio) but that is easily accessible by ferry to other areas of the lake. Currently the frontrunner is Grand Hotel Tremezzo, as Villa Serbelloni and Villa d'Este are way out of the budget.

Does anyone have any other suggestions we should consider? What do you think about staying in Tremezzo? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

Hi we have stayed in Tremezzo many times and absolutely love the area as it is so convenient to everwhere and of course is less touristy than Belaggio.We have stayed at hotel La Darsena and as you can read from the reviews on TA it is a wonderful small boutique style hotel. The owners are absolutely passionate about their business and will go far and beyond the call of duty to satisfy their guests. Of course it is not the glitzy hotel that Villa Deste is but in my opinion is far more personal and the food is to die for.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

The Hotel Imperiale in Moltrasio could be a balanced choice. The big minus is that only few rooms have view on the lake, but on the other hand the restaurant is incredibly located and if you book a table on the grass is as romantic as you can get. The ferry stop is just outside the hotel, Como (often overlooked but it's a beautiful town) is at taxi reach and one night you can always go to eat to Villa d'Este (nearby) getting the advantages of the beautiful hotel without having to pay for it! ;-)

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am concerned the Grand Hotel Tremezzo is a little too isolated. Perhaps I am wrong? I think we would enjoy Varenna but I can't seem to find any upscale accommodations there.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

I've noticed today that Villa Flori, an old hotel just outside como ended a massive refurbishment...

The lakeside road passes behind the hotel so I fear that it could be noisy, but it's literally in the water.

http://www.hotelvillaflori.com/

I point it out to you (altough I don't know nothing about the quality of the refurbishment) so you can have another element that is out of the radar screen because it haven't open yet.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

Grand hotel Menaggio and Grand Hotel Victoria in Menaggio might be what you're looking for.

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
524 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

I can't say I've ever been in either of these hotels personally, but I really don't think you'll be happy in either the Victoria or the Grand Hotel in Menaggio if you're looking for upscale. The room photos on their respective Web sites show them to be in serious need of updating (and, in this day and age, if they look that bad *online* ... yikes). Why overpay for shabby digs? Grand Hotel Menaggio is also a big draw for mature-tourists-on-giant-buses -- it may actually feel more touristy than anywhere in Bellagio.

I think you'll likely be fine with Grand Hotel Tremezzo if you're looking for the grand hotel experience -- even from the outside it looks much nicer (at least in my opinion) than the Menaggio, just down the road, particularly all lit up in the evening with folks out on the restaurant balconies eating. I can't tell you what the inside is like from personal experience, but their site looks promising and from the TA tourist photos the rooms are pretty much as nice as they appear. And I don't think you'd feel isolated. Aside from the fast ferry that stops there, you're also less than a kilometer's pleasant lakeside walk from the super-frequent ferry service between Cadenabbia and Bellagio.

Just for argument's sake, I wouldn't totally discount the center of Bellagio, either, unless you're going in the middle of July or August or something. From actual personal experience this time (7 years ago, so take that as you will), that the Hotel Florence is surprisingly lovely for a 3-star hotel, if you like small, boutique-style places. The rooms have an old-fashioned European feel without actually seeming, well, old. Some of the places on the lake look like they have the same bedspreads from 1965, but the Florence seems to be very well cleaned and maintained.

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

As an absolute alternative, consider Gravedona at the north of the lake as you can get from there on the boats and Aliscafo easily. Look at Hotels La Villa which is excellent but on a main road, or Hotel Lauro which has recently been refurbished and is very good too. This is situated in the centre of town with a slight walk down to the lakeside. Lovely resort with far less tourists and more locals, so you can experience the real italian lakes, not the tourist fabricated one.

Edited: 24 February 2011, 14:51
Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

I have never stayed at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo, but I have had drink there when overcome with thirst, it certainly did seem to have the feel of a hotel of the "grand' tradition - but at the same time did not come across as stuffy.

If you do consider Bellagio, you might take a look at the Belvedere - it's not in the busy centre, but a ten minute uphill walk and is situated above the tiny fishing village of Pescallo. I've stayed there in a lake view room four times, the views over the Lecco leg of the lake are stunning. It's not a hotel of the "Grand" scale - but as well as their classic rooms they also have "superior", de luxe" and suites.

Hope this might help.

9. Re: Luxury in Lake Como

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 03:19