We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Como activities

South Carolina
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Como activities

Hello experts!

We (my husband, myself and our 3 kids~16, 13, and 11) will spend 4 nights in Menaggio the beginning of August. One of our days there we are planning to take the ferry to Como and ride the funicular up to Brunate for some hiking. The next day we have booked a tour with Bellagio Water Taxis for a tour of the lake and Villa Balbianello. I'd like some advice on what to do our 3rd day there. We do have a rental car if needed. We love hiking, biking, and anything that includes gorgeous mountain/lake views. Ideas?

Also, we are heading to Interlaken, Switzerland for a few days after leaving Lake Como. What is the best driving route from Menaggio to Interlaken? I am looking into dropping off our rental car once we arrive in Interlaken since it seems the best transportation is the train system.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Kim

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Como activities

If the day is sunny and crisp I would suggest to visit Val d'Intelvi (bus) up to the great panorama point called "sighignola", nicknamed "the balcony of Italy".

Another funny idea could be to try a tour on the seaplane. Departures from Como.

Another funicular + hiking is the one of Pigra, starts from Argegno.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,576 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Como activities

You could visit Bellagio and Villa Carlotta to see the museum and gardens.

Italy
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Como activities

Have a look here

my-lake-como-holiday.com/147/…

Brezza

South Carolina
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Como activities

Thanks for all of the ideas! I have read about Val d'Intelvi and it sounds wonderful. How far of a drive would that be from Menaggio? Is there any hiking there or is it all driving? Should we drive our own car or take the bus?

The funicular to Pigra in Argegno sounds very nice, too. I'm guessing that one offers very different views and vistas than the one in Como up to Brunate?

Thanks so much!

Kim

South Carolina
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Como activities

The seaplane idea sounds really fun, too. Does anyone know of companies that have seaplane tours on Lake Como?

Thanks!

Kim

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Como activities

Hey,

if you click on the link in the post, you can see the link of the Aero Club who does the seaplane tours. At least I hope so, as most is in Italian, but there is an e-mail you can write them.

http://www.aeroclubcomo.com

BusyBee

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,576 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Como activities

That web address is also available in English!

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Como activities

For Val d'intelvi you can choose wether you prefer to drive or to take the bus, the car is of course more confortable, but be prepared to a road quite twisty and narrow. Lot of hiking there, my fav is the trail to rifugio prabello: from the hut (1 hr walk and good food!) you can visit with another 15min walk the wwi defensive lines under the scenic cliff of sasso gordona.

The funicular to pigra is indeed very different to the one of brunate.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Como activities

OK~thanks. Where can I find directions/driving time to Val d'intelvi?

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Como activities

http://snipurl.com/tdz0n

Edited: 26 July 2011, 21:06