We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling with kids to the Lake region

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
travelling with kids to the Lake region

I am travelling with my two boys aged 6 and 8. I was planning to spend 7 days in the lakes area, possibly setting a base in Bellagio and travelling by ferry to get the know the lake. My only hesitation is that 7 days may be too long and my kids will get bored with looking at churches and gardens. Should I stay for half the time at Lake Como and then move on to another lake. Is Milan any good for kids.

Thanks.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

At your place, looking at kids needs first, would go to Arona on Lake Maggiore and Gardaland near Peschiera del Garda just for them. Would avoid Milan and Bellagio without regrets.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

Why Arona Aussies11? It offers nothing for kids......

I'd opt for lake Garda rather than como or maggiore

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

Yes, I agree, Lake Garda is a great option for kids because of the nearby Gardaland theme park.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

Lake Garda is the most child and family friendly lake!

www.gardainforma.com/en/funparks/index.html

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

Thank you that helps and I will check out the website.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

To travel to Lake Garda from Tirano ( where I will have just gotten off the Bernia Express) is too much travel in one day. Should I just stay the night in Tirano or could you suggest a place in-between the Tirano and Lake Garda that would be better.

Your comments are appreciated as points me in right direction to research.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

There’s not much in Tirano, but Poschiavo is a gem, a sweet town with an Italian feel, and a great place to spend the night. Then travel onward the following morning – There are train stations on Lake Garda at Desenzano del Garda and Peschiera del Garda.

…trekearth.com/gallery/…

Vagabonda

Edited: 22 February 2012, 01:49
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

Thanks for that but I think I did not make myself clear. What I meant was, is there a place I could stay over night between Tirano and Lake Garda, because to travel to Lake Garda from St Moritz via Bernia Express then Italian train is too long a travel in one day.

Hope that makes sense... such a shame Poschiavo looks amazing.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

Look at hotel Altavilla or Il Grappolo b&b. They are both in Bianzone, 10 minutes from Tirano diection Sondrio. Lodging, food quality and landscape's beauty are over the average and the cost are little. At Villa di Tirano you can visit an apiary: Mieleria Moltoni, via Sonvico 1 tel. 0342 795370

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,631 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling with kids to the Lake region

You did make yourself clear Satori2012, but you could book your ticket to Poschiavo and then continue onward the following morning.

http://www.rhb.ch/index.php?id=33?&L=4

http://www.seat61.com/BerninaExpress.htm

Although there is a train station in Bianzone, there is limited service between Tirano and Bianzone and schedules aren’t always convenient. These accommodations are not near the train station, so you would require a car. The B&B Il Grappolo would pick you up at the station for a fee if you don’t have too much luggage.

With a car, you could also consider Lake Iseo.

All considered, you might just spend the night in Tirano, but it would be a pity to miss Poschiavo.

Vagabonda