We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
535 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

There are a couple of mix-and-match ways to do this beyond the obvious car-rental, private shuttle, or car-and-driver service options, and I thought it would be nice to have them all in one place for the start of the new tourist season ...

***WEST (COMO-COLICO) BRANCH:

*TO COMO: Catch the Malpensa Express train to Saronno station run by Le Nord (leaves from lower level of terminal 1), change for Como Lago (end of line). Tickets sold at Malpensa just above the platforms, no need to book in advance. [Times can be consulted at www.trenord.it (no English as of yet, but pretty basic interface -- input Da: "Malpensa Aeroporto" A: "Como Lago")]

Como (Nord) Lago station is right across from the waterfront, so if you're staying in Como, you've reached your destination.

*ON UP THE LAKE: From here you have two main options:

1) Cross the street to the left to the ferry ticket booth and catch a ferry or hydrofoil directly to destination town

[boat schedules: www.navlaghi.it/eng/c_orari.asp]

OR

2) Bus C30 to towns up to and including Bellagio (Blevio, Nesso, Lezzeno, etc.)

Bus C10 to towns up to and including Colico (Menaggio, Argegno, Dongo, etc.)

[bus schedules may be consulted at www.asfautolinee.it/it-it/lineeeorari/orariolineeinpdf/reteextraurbana.aspx]

*NOTE* It's also possible to follow one of the options below, then catch a ferry from Varenna over to Bellagio -- usually this is a bit more trouble (you'll need to come a few hundred meters, mostly downhill, from the Varenna/Esino train station to the ferry, and backtracking to Milan Central isn't the most direct way to the central lake), but sometimes the times work out to be similar to the train/ferry combo above.

***EAST (LECCO-COLICO) BRANCH:

*TO TOWNS LECCO-VARENNA (inclusive):

You start out with two options from Malpensa to Milan -- either:

1) Catch a Malpensa Express *train* to Milano Centrale

[Times can be consulted at www.trenord.it (no English as of yet, but pretty basic interface -- input Da: "Malpensa Aeroporto" A: "Milano Centrale")]

OR

2) Catch a Malpensa Shuttle *bus* to Milano Centrale

*TO/UP THE LAKE:

From Milan's Central Station you can then catch a regional train (usually headed for Tirano or Sondrio) to Lecco, Varenna/Esino, Bellano or Colico. For stops between Lecco and Varenna (Fiumelatte, Lierna), you'd need to get off at Lecco and change to a more local train heading in the same direction.

Hope this helps!

Kat

90 replies to this topic
3 posts
Save Reply
61. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

posting as MARGARET a

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Margaret, as I mentioned in post #57 there is no/no bus from Malpensa airport to Lake Como.

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
195 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

There used to be a bus and it was fantastic and only 14.00 Euro if I remember correctly. I don't know why they discontinued it. It started and stopped at Piazza Cavour. You would think the tourist office would push to get this bus back.I just came from there and the day I got there the trains were on strike. Wouldn't you know. I had to take a cab. I didn't mind too much as I was tired and it is great service. We all ought to get together and get our own driver.

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
195 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

I think you should do a page Como: Arriving and departing also.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,141 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

#64 - that page already exists - no need to reinvent the wheel! Look under 'top questions about Lake Como' in the upper right corner of this page.

Stockport
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Hi could you give me a rough idea of how long it takes to get from Malpensa to Lake Como on the train? Thankyou!

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
195 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Hello CatherineBOO,

1:17 to 1:32 depending on the train you take. See www.trenord.it for schedule and time.

Stockport
Level Contributor
36 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

That's great thank you very much - you've helped make the decision an easy one! (I thought it was a longer trip so was having second thoughts). Do you have any preferences for which village to stay at, in Lake Como?

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
195 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

Hello Catherine800,

I have been staying at the Hotel Plinius in Como. Although I see they are changing ownership and will be closed for November and December.

HOTEL PLINIUS

Email: info@hotelplinius.com

Tel.: 031273067

Fax: 031262020

Address: Via Garibaldi 33

Cap: 22100

Class: 3 stelle

Town: Como

I happened to notice this place on a recent trip there and it looked really interesting and right in the center of the city. I have not stayed there.

RESIDENZA CAVOUR

Email: info@residenzacavour.it

Tel.: 031 300707 +39 348 7118710

Address: Via Caio Plinio II, 3

Town: Como

I like the city of Como the best and then I just travel to all the little cities along the lake by boat or the local bus (cheap). Everything (Bus station, two train stations and the boat depot) are all within walking distance of a block or two in Como. You are also near the markets and a lot of stores for shopping.

Here is an interesting web site

http://www.lakecomo.it/en

which is the official Como tourism office website

Ufficio IAT di Como

Piazza Cavour, 17

Como, (CO) 22100

Italy/ Lombardy

Ciao,

TomS

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit

To be honest, I would stay in Como itself. There is plenty to see and do, whereas in the smaller towns and villages around the lake you will be a bit more limited, especially if you go out of season. From Como you can take the local buses to visit inland, or the boat to explore the towns and villages along the lake.

Last time we went we rented an apartment just off Piazza Volta, which was lovely. There are plenty of websites that will show you listings for the area. We like this better than a hotel as we can come and go as we please and also try the local produce for meals, if we don't fancy going out to a restaurant.

I hope you have a wonderful time. It is a lovely area and well worth the effort of getting there.

Reply to: Getting from Malpensa to Lake Como with Public Transit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted