We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

My husband and I are making a trip to Italy next month and are trying to fit in Lake Como. We are looking for suggestions on where to stay in the Lake Como area... Town name not hotel name. Thanks :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Where to stay

Hello,

How long a drive is it from Milan to the lake?

Any suggestions where to stay that is not too touristy but convenient to the ferries?

Thank you!

Happytrails

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Where to stay

@triple s: I suggest to stay in the middle part of the lake. The best places are: Lenno, Tremezzo, Menaggio and Bellagio. They are all near the ferries and there's a lot of things to visit there:

Lenno (Villa Balbianello, Abbey of Acquafredda, Monastero S.Benedetto, Churches)

Tremezzo (Villa Carlotta)

Menaggio (with its churches and monuments)

Bellagio (Villa Melzi, Villa Serbelloni it's very good also for shopping)

From one of this town you can buy a daily ticket to do a tour a of the middle part of the lake and with 15 euros you can visit all the towns doing all the stops that you want during the day. (If you buy a ticket from Lenno to Bellagio is 4,60 so 15 euros for all day is very convenient)

And, of course, you can reach Como or the upper part of the lake. You are also near the lake of Lugano.

@happytrails: the drive from Milan to Como lake is one hour without the traffic, then it depends of which part of the lake you want to reach: for the middle part is 1 hour and a half for exemple.

Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Where to stay

How about Gravedona? I'm looking at apartment rental there. My parents and I are going to spend 3 nights in the Lake Como region. We like to be close to local restaurants and residential area yet convenient enough to visit other major sites of the lake.

Grazie!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Where to stay

Yes Gravedona is a nice place. You're a little bit far away for Como, but you can go with the bus to the other towns. For exemple you can reach Menaggio in 40 minutes I think. And you're near the Natural Reserve of Pian di Spagna. The boat from Gravedona to the middle part of the lake is a little bit expensive, about 8 euros from Gravedona to Lenno for exemple, so take the bus, is cheaper

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
55 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Where to stay

I am planning on a vacation to the lakes region next year and would like your opinion on the following:

We may visit mid May, June, or September. What months are typically better for weather? What is considered off season?

Places of interest include:

Cernobbio, possible 1 night stay at Villa d'Este

Bellagio, 5 stay at Borgo Le Terrazze with day trips to Varenna, Lenno, Menaggio, Tremezzo

Lake Orta, 3-4 days with stay at Hotel Giardnetto or Hotel Approdo. Can I take a ferry from Bellagio to Isola San Giulio or other points on Lake Orta or do I need a car?

Any recommendations for restaurants would be welcome.

Thank you!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Where to stay

I have been to Italy twice. Early October on Lake Como was fantastic, weather cool but pleasant with no crowds all ferries running, shops and restaurants still open and shoulder season. I went last year but to The Dolomites, Lake Garda and the same in Early September. I always travel everywhere in Late Sept and October and find the weather seems a bit kinder. We stayed self cont in Menaggio so cannot comment on hotels.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
55 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Where to stay

Thank you Niec, this is helpful information. I have been to Taromina in September and loved the weather at that time.

Ken

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Where to stay

We are planning a trip for 6 older adults for next summer. Do you think we would prefer to stay in Argegno or Nobiallo?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Where to stay

I would say Nobiallo, it's close to Menaggio and you're exactly between the high part of he lake and the middle part of the lake. And If you're planning to rent boat Nobiallo is the best choice

Birmingham, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
80. Re: Where to stay

Hi there I am booked at the grand britannia excellsior at the end of September and after reading the reviews I am worried to death.

Has anyone been moved to another hotel recently because of over booking at the grand britannia excelsior

Kind regards

Jane