We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Trip in Sept. 2013

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
45 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Trip in Sept. 2013

My wife and I are planning a vacation with one week each in the Dolomites and Tuscany with the primary purpose of hiking/walking and would appreciate any assistance on the following:

1. How much time should we plan for the Lake Como region?

2. Is the area well set up for hiking/walking or is that activity an after thought?

3. What town should we base out of (we will have a car)?

4. Any specific recommendation on an apartment or hotel?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Como, Italy
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Trip in Sept. 2013

The lake Como region is not in the Dolomites, it is 3/4 hours driving from the Dolomites. Anyway it is very well set for walking/hiking. To visit the region you can plan 2 days with an overnight stay in Como or in the mid lake area (Bellagio, Menaggio, Varenna).

For hotels/apartments www.lakecomo.com

Mentioned in this post
Menaggio
Menaggio
201 Reviews
Lake Como, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Trip in Sept. 2013

In my opinion, this area is great for hiking. I'd recommend basing yourself somewhere around Menaggio and giving yourself at *least* two full days. It's a fairly straightforward drive to Menaggio from Como (a little less twisty than the opposite shore), their tourist office has a wealth of information on hiking/walking, and there are several trail options of various levels based nearby.

You may be interested in looking into:

-- The Greenway (lakecomonewsletter.com/2011/…) (tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1076994-d…)

-- Monte Grona (http://www.walkingenglishman.com/italy2.htm) (tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187833-d1…)

-- San Martino (www.griante.com/index_en.php?page=sanmartino) (tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1076994-d…)

-- Menaggio Walking/Hiking Info (www.menaggio.com/new/lista1.php?padre=473)

Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
Menaggio
Menaggio
201 Reviews
Lake Como, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,878 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Trip in Sept. 2013

The trekking is excellent in the Lake Como area, but you would appreciate more than just two nights, and you would better appreciate a mid-lake location (Menaggio, Varenna, Bellagio...)!

tripadvisor.com/…25072476

Hiking around lake como:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k4901…

Vagabonda

Edited: 28 November 2012, 10:31
Mentioned in this post
Menaggio
Menaggio
201 Reviews
Lake Como, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Varenna
Varenna
Lake Como, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
4. Re: Planning a Trip in Sept. 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 08:15