We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

I am not sure which lake to stay at. I have been to garda so wanted to go somewhere else. What I would like to do is stay at a hotel which is very clean, has good food, an outdoor heated pool, and rooms with sea view. I would like to be near the ferry Nd have somewhere where I can get round to different villages. I suppose my first question is which lake would be better and any suggestions or a hotel. I cannot afford a fortune . Also is there such a thing as a long range weather forcaste for August only it has been such poor weather in uk....

Thanks so much

Violet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

I'd stay on Lake Como - I think it is the most beautiful of the Italian Lakes. Bellagio is truly spectacular, but other than that, anywhere on the western shore is good.

In terms of hotel recommendations, I have stayed at both the Hotel Florence (3*) and Hotel Bellagio (2*) in Bellagio and both are great, clean and relatively newly renovated and you can request rooms with a lake view. Neither of them have pools however.

The only hotel with a pool in Bellagio that I am aware of is the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, but it's pretty expensive.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

I would also go with Como and Ballagio is my favouriste village there but as Philippa says the cheaper hotels don't have a pool, if this is important then check out Menaggio as there a few hotels there with a pool.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

Sorry, that should read "Bellagio"

Milano
Level Contributor
4,123 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

Lake Maggiore is beutiful but Lake Como is even better, I agree with the others, staying in Bellagio (that I like very much) will allow you to travel to other villages by ferry, very nice and romantic.

On the other side of the lake I would not miss Varenna. http://www.navlaghi.it/eng/index.asp

If you rent a car Lake Maggiore is not too far, by public transport arriving there is quiet complicated.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

There's no denying that both lakes are beautiful, but I'm going with the others when they suggest Lake Como. The scenery of the mid lake area is outstanding.

I've stayed in Bellagio four times, but in recent years it seems to have become more and more touristy. However, I think it's an excellent place for a first visit, it has a better ferry service than some other places, I believe. In addition to the super expensive Hotel Villa Serbelloni, Hotels Belvedere and Splendide have outdoor pools, but whether or not they are heated I don't know, neither of them are particularly cheap.

Menaggio is a lovely little town and has a "real" feel with everyday shops and much more of an Italian atmosphere.

In September, I hope to be staying in Lenno for the fourth time. The Hotel Lenno has an outdoor swimming pool, but as I never as much as dip my toe in, I have no idea whether or not it's heated. I absolutely love Lenno, but there's not much there except the natural beauty of the place and the wonderful walks above the lake.

I hope this helps.

tucson
Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

We just left Bellagio a few days ago and stayed at the Hotel Belvedere. Excellent service OK rooms. We had a classic room with a roll away for our daughter. They had breakfast included which was excellent. We paid 475 euros a night which has been the most expensive place we have stayed here in Italy. I think that it was not worth it but we wanted somewhere nice.

del mar, ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

We are at Varenna right now. It is well situated, smaller & quieter than Bellagio. Good ferry connections to other towns. Easy train to Milan. Looks like only acceptable hotel is Hotel Du Lac, but don't think they have a pool.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

You might also consider staying in Varenna – Varenna is less pricey than Bellagio. The Royal Victoria (with pool) has just reopened after extensive renovations.

www.royalvictoria.com/1/1/EN/Home_page.htm

And the Hotel Du Lac is lovely, but although lakeside with stunning views, there's no pool.

And if you were to consider Lake Maggiore, consider the lovely Hotel Cannero in Cannero Riviera. Hotel Cannero is a suburb family-owned hotel with lakeside terraces, a restaurant, bar, pool, lounge areas, tennis court, friendly owners, delicious breakfast and it’s located directly across from Cannero’s boat station.

http://www.hotelcannero.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g664167-d314972…

Vagabonda

Edited: 28 May 2013, 11:20
9. Re: Not sure whether to stay in como or maggiore and which hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 06:18