We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Como visit with pregnant wife

London
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Como visit with pregnant wife

Hi, looking for some advice - my wife and I are having our final holiday before our baby is born at the end of August. We have four days by lake como, (Domaso) and four days by Garda too (salo).

We are looking to make this a special break, as it will be out last together before a little 'someone' joins our lives and keeps us very busy!

We are an active couple and love walking but now have to make sure we are sensible about distance and also that there are loo stops! We have also hired a car for the duration so can get about and see things a bit off the beaten trail.

So my question is, given a 6m pregnant lady, access to a car, a desire to 'see stuff', get off the beaten track a bit, and the risk of some really changeable weather next week, what would you recommend we put on our itinerary?

Would like to split into 'must see tourist stuff' vs 'off the beaten track' and maybe 'suitable for a few rainy hours'

Thanks ever so much, final holiday before first baby - feels like we need to make it special

Milano
Level Contributor
4,134 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Como visit with pregnant wife

I would visit Como, Brunate (above Como), Menaggio, Tremezzo, Bellagio, Varenna on Lake Como. All this places are more or less touristic. I would also consider the ferries http://www.navlaghi.it/eng/index.asp

You may consider to go from Domaso to Chiavenna or other villages in the mountain that are much less touristic and for a rainy day you may consider to go here http://www.bormioterme.it/en/ or in any museum of Como. http://www.lagodicomo.com/english/index.php

On Lake Garda you may do the tour of the lake stopping in Limone del Garda, Riva del Garda, Garda, Peschiera, Sirmione (really lovely), Desenzano. All these place are more or less touristic, to escape from them you may reach any village in the hills/mountains. http://www.gardalakeuk.com/

For a rainy day you may consider to reach Brescia or Verona and/or relaxing here www.termedisirmione.com

Edited: 30 May 2013, 09:58
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Como visit with pregnant wife

Congrats scoobydooLondon! :-)

There are lovely walks around Menaggio and Griante.

www.menaggio.com/contenuti.php?PADRE=473

www.griante.com/index_griante_en.php…

And you might enjoy a visit to Lugano town’s historic centre, shop, take a lift, or a walk along the Sentiero dell'Olivo.

Lake Como or Lake Maggiore?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k6206…

geting around Lugarno-Como? Car hire?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k5728…

And perhaps you would enjoy a visit (not Sundays) to the enchanting hamlet of Soglio in Switzerland’s Val Bregaglia (Graubünden) – There are outstanding walks around this village with stunning views of the Bondasca glacier.

Northern Italy --> Switzerland (?) Itinerary??:

tripadvisor.com/…46329882

If you don’t take the Brunate funicolare, you could take the funivia at Pigra - Pigra Cable Car:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g664175-i15996-k65…

And there’s Milan for a rainy day!

Nearby (to Salo), visit Gargnano and tiny Villa Gargnano - Gargnano:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187838-i641-k5566…

But surely visit romantic Sirmione - tripadvisor.com/…46129211

And there's a lakeside path connecting the lovely towns of Garda, Bardolino, and Lazise and onward to Peschiera del Garda.

And Verona!

Best wishes for your special holiday!

Vagabonda

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Como visit with pregnant wife

Congratulations!

Lake Como is one of my favorite places in Italy. I've been there four times now with my Mom in tow.

Since your wife is 6 months pregnant, you will probably want to go easy on the walking. Most of my favorite things to do on Lake Como involve walking or strolling, but I think visiting each of the villas would be placid enough for your wife. Consider:

Villa Monastero and Villa Cipressi (next door) in Varenna.

Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo.

Villa Balbianello in Lenno.

Villa Melzi in Bellagio. At the far (south) end of this Villa is a tiny village of Loppia and you will find a delightful litlte restaurant called Alle Darsene. That would be a pleasant stroll. If you don't want to walk, in season there is a little choo-choo train called the Trombetta that makes stops in Bellagio/the neighboring small villages. (It's a tractor disguised as a train, and it pulls wagons - think Disney World).

Varenna is very pleasant for strolling but there are a lot of steps so I guess see how your wife feels about stairs. If you take it slowly you should be OK.

Lenno is very small but we love it - it's our usual place to stay (Albergo Lenno).

Bellagio of course. There are stairs there but I think they are more stable for walking than in Varenna. Many shops.

Off the beaten path a bit - if your driver is willing, ask to see Madonna del Ghisallo above Bellagio. It's a cycling shrine - church.

I concur with the suggestion of Soglio especially given that you are in the northern part of the lake - you aren't all that far away, probably not much more of a drive than going all the way to Como would be. We visited there on our way from Switzerland and it seemed fairly close. It's a beautiful old village - very old.

Hope this helps!

ps. whoops, forgot about Lake Garda:

We really enjoyed Il Vittoriale on the western side of the lake (also more south). That was owned by an eccentric WWI war hero. He liked boats and airplanes - a lot. There is a boat in the hillside for instance. He was also quite a dandy - the displays of his clothing were interesting. Very wealthy, very odd. I've heard this place called a Fascist Lunapark before.

Malcesine is very pleasant and you can take the cable car to the top of Monte Baldo. We also enjoyed Limone sul Garda but didn't see a lot of it as we were there to see the Giro. It was crazy!

Edited: 31 May 2013, 03:08
London
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Como visit with pregnant wife

Thank you so much each of you, we are very grateful for your advice and just about to jump on the plane...!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,420 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Como visit with pregnant wife

Prego e buon viaggio scoobydooLondon!

Tanti auguri!

Vagabonda

6. Re: Como visit with pregnant wife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 06:17