We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

Coogee, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

Hi,

Need your help...

We only have 5 nights in Venice/Milan. We will arrive Venice on Monday night in Oct. 3 nights in Venice, 1 night in Verona and then we are not sure if we should stay the final night in Lake Como or Milan

We will take train from Verona to Milan central station in the morning then to Lake Como. It looks like we will not reach Como San Giovanni station by 12pm... We are wondering

1) if we should stay over time in Como and come back to Milan the following day to catch train to Rome or

2) we should come back to Milan in the evening on the same day to stay over night in Milan...

The 2nd choice will give us more time in Milan... but seems very tight in Como ...

Your responses are very much appreciated.

Jenny

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

I would probably forego Como on this trip. It would be very tight and hectic trying to do this. Don't try to see everything.

Coogee, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

Thank you jerryott for your response. I am reading the forum and the loop idea sounds good:

Milan Centrol - Varenna-Esino then take ferry across midlake to Bellagio

from Bellagio to Como

From Como to Milan

Is not practical in a half day?

Shall we stay in Como or in Milan?

Thanks

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

I would stay the night in Milan as that would enable you to be flexible with the itinerary, if the weather is good you could get the 8.32am train from Verona to the Central station it arrives at 9.55am that should just give you time to leave your luggage at the luggage deposit at the station and catch the 10.20am train to Varenna, you could have a look around Varenna and either have lunch there or catch the ferry to Bellagio, which only takes about 10 minutes, after your visit you could either get the ferry back to Varenna or to Como and get the train back to Milano.

You will have to hurry to leave your luggage as it's a manned left luggage and they search all the luggage, if there's a queue ask if you could go to the front as there's a chance you'll miss the train I doubt anyone would mind.

If the weather isn't good stay in Milan.

Coogee, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

Thank you Chrella for your detailed guide. I was checking the train - the exam same time I was thinking about. But thought it would be really tight. So now we have decided to stay in Milan instead of in Verona the night before so we will catch the train at 8.20am from Milano Centrale to Varenna-Esino so we will have 2 more hours and come back to stay in Milan.

is the train station in Como called "COMO S. GIOVANNI"?

Thank you very much again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
329 posts
949 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

Hello 1heart1mind, what are you wanting to see at Lake Como, if you have only half a day I would suggest train to Varenna from Milan, have a look around, lots of cafes/gelateria by the lake edge. There are great villages and gardens to visit, Villa Melzi in Bellagio, Villa Balbianello near Lenno, Villa Carlotta, all within a short ferry ride from Varenna. I would concentrate in this area and then catch the train back to Milan from Varenna, half a day will pass very quickly, don't rush the experience.

Coogee, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

Hi Kpiddy, thank you for your response, now I have whole day - arriving Varenna at 9.30am then leave probably around 5pm; Have read thi forum, figure out the loop might be a good idea... come back from Como to Milan. But not sure what is the station name in Como?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

The station next to the waterfront at Como is (not surprisingly) Como Lago. Trains from there go to Milan Cadorna station.

If you want to get to Milan Centrale, these trains use Como San Giovanni, which is some 10 minutes' walk uphill from the waterfront.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 11:41
Coogee, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

Thank you all for your kind assistance!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

The only thing you now need is nice sunny weather :-))

Coogee, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: is a half day practical to visit Lake Como?

Yes!!! Lets hope!!