We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

Boston...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

My husband and i are staying on Lake Como for 4 days next September as part of a 3 week Italy trip. We would like to go to Switzerland for a night or two by train. Where would be a good place to go to get a feel for Switzerland? What I've read about so far are areas that are in Switzerland but are more like Italy. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

You don't necessarily have to stay overnight. Lugano is a relatively short bus ride from Menaggio. I've also read that you can take the train from Varenna to St. Moritz but don't know much about the logistics of that trip.

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

To avoid the Italian speaking part of Switzerland, and for a change of scenery, go to St Moritz. Travel the Bernina Route. and return by #4 bus to Chiavenna down the Maloja Pass. Back on the Italian rail at Chiavenna to Lake Como.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

Hi, a good trip would be the Bernina Express from Tirano and an overnight stay in Pontersina or St moritz and as bofoster says return the next day via Maloja and Chiavenna

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

St. Moritz with the Bernina Express is a good idea, but it depends on the town on lake Como you are living from, because you need to reach Tirano first. A very nice 'Swiss' city for an overnight stay easier to be reached by train from Como is Luzern

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,479 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

If you'd like a Swiss destination near Lake Como that would offer the feel of Switzerland, consider the enchanting village of Soglio in Graubünden’s Val Bregaglia.

Varenna to Soglio Switzer by train& then bus from Chiavenna

tripadvisor.com/…53632515

Menaggio to Solgio (day trip) without car... possible?

tripadvisor.co.uk/…41435238

You might feel more in Switzerland in Val Bregaglia than St. Mortiz. The landscape widens around St. Moritz, it's more touristy, and less enchanting.

Vagabonda

Edited: 07 January 2014, 10:37
Boston...
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

Thank you for all the suggestions! I had been looking at the Bernina Express, whack looks wonderful, but I am scared of heights. It says it goes at 70 degree angles…even with my eyes closed i would know that! Any experience with this? Are all the trains going to this area going to experience this? Thanks again and I will look into Val Bregaglia.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,479 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

Prego northshorerobin,

Soglio is simply an adorable mountain hamlet, and a wonderful place to experience Switzerland, but avoid Sundays when the village is very quiet.

Vagabonda

8. Re: where to go in Switzerland from Lake Como for a overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22