We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

Hi - we are going to Lake Como in June with a baby and a 3 year old. We will arrive by train from Milan and wish to spend a couple of days before connecting to the Bernina Express and heading into Switzerland.

Could anyone please tell me is it easily done for us to stay at Menaggio and still make the connections? I'm assuming: on arrival: train to Como, ferry to Menaggio. Then on departure, ferry to Varenna and train to start of Bernina express (Tirano?)

Please could someone let me know whether the schedules are doable with kids?

Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

Or bus from Menaggio to Lugano to begin - www.rhb.ch/Bernina-Express.2188.0.html?&L=4

Vagabonda

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

Hi,

Thanks for the response - I should have also mentioned I want to avoid the long bus ride from Lugano to Tirano! This is why we want to take the train directly there from Varenna or Como.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

Hi,

Thanks for the response - I should have also mentioned I want to avoid the long bus ride from Lugano to Tirano! This is why we want to take the train directly there from Varenna or Como.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

Yes, it is doable get the ferry to Varenna then the train to Tirano for the Bernina Express connection.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

If you want to avoid the bus ride from Lugano to Tirano, then yes, you would take the ferry from Menaggio to Varenna, and then take the train to Tirano.

There's no ticket office at the train station in Varenna, so you could purchase your train ticket at the travel agency in Varenna (Tivano Tours), or at the Albergo Beretta that you would pass on your way to the train station, or you could purchase your ticket on the train from the conductor. The conductor can usually be found in the first car, and be sure to validate your ticket.

http://www.tivanotours.com/en/index.php

Vagabonda

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

Or buy your ticket at a station in Milan or Como on your way to Menaggio - a ticket from Varenna to Tirano is OK on any train for 60 days until validated.

7. Re: Menaggio connections to Bernina Express?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:18