We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Como recommendations????

ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Como recommendations????

Hi there,

We are trying to book a family holiday for 6 adults and 1 baby. This is our 1st time traveling with our 5 month old baby & I really want to make sure we pick the right place. We really want to go to Italy just for the beauty, atmosphere, food and much more Italy has to offer. We are thinking about September and looking at Lake Como. We have spent time in Lake Garda (Garda & Bardolino in July) & we loved it. Travelling with a baby we didnt want to go mid summer as it would be too hot. We would like to spend evenings strolling around and eating out. We are not into lying out in the sun, instead we like to see the area and experience the local culture. We would like to stay someplace that has a lot of restaurants and has some character. What town would be the best for us? Is the weather usually good in September? Sorry with all the questions and any advice would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
889 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Como recommendations????

Are you looking to have all 7 people at the same place. A villa or big apartment? This will be important.

Most tourist will pick a town in the mid-lake area. No mid-lake town has a winter population of more than 4,000 people. So there will not be 100s (or even dozens) of restaurant choices.

#1) Bellagio. Also known as the pearl of the lake. Tourist and shopping oriented but a fine base for a first visit.

#2) Menaggio. Less expensive then Bellagio and a very popular tourist base. The largest area of level land in the Lake Como area.

#3) Varenna. Very picturesque. Feels like a fishing village. Only 700 winter inhabitants. Less shared areas for strolling than the other two towns.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Como recommendations????

Hi, Bellagio would be my choice as it has a better choice of shops and restaurants.

ireland
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Como recommendations????

Ah thanks so much for all your help guys, I'm still deciding on what to do but your advice has been very helpful.

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Como recommendations????

My husband and I stayed in Menaggio for 2 weeks last year and are returning this year. We wondered before arriving if we had made the right choice choosing Menaggio over Bellagio but once we were there felt we had made the right choice. Bellagio is larger and much more touristy. Menaggio is just delightful and incredibly well located for both boat and bus trips. There is a very helpful tourist information centre. We also found a wonderful pizzeria which makes amazing pizzas in front of your eyes to either eat in or take away.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,603 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Como recommendations????

Yes, Menaggio is family-friendly, and a great town to stroll with a baby.

http://www.comune.menaggio.co.it/home.php

Como and Bellagio:

tripadvisor.com/…41021901

Vagabonda

6. Re: Lake Como recommendations????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:15