We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Como S.Giovanni to Lake Como itself

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Como S.Giovanni to Lake Como itself

Hi,

I am arriving at Como S.Giovanni at 8:30am on a weekday and am wanting to explore Lake Como for the day before needing to return to the same train station that afternoon by 3pm.

Could someone please advise how best to see the wonders of the lake? I am having trouble finding information.

Thank you

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Como S.Giovanni to Lake Como itself

San Giovanni station is a short walk (approx. 15 minutes) from the lake shore and the ferry pier.

Otherwise, buses to Menaggio or Bellagio stop just outside the station.

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Como S.Giovanni to Lake Como itself

The best way to see the lake is by boat. Unless extremely pressed for time, your destination should be one of the mid-lake towns. I recommend Bellagio but Varenna is small and very picturesque. From Como you have the choice of #1) Fast Boat (aka hydrofoil) takes one hour or #2) slow boat ('batello') takes two hours. I recommend the slow boat for at least direction (leg) of the trip. So up and back is three hours but very pleasant indeed.

If you like gardens, then you could tour one at Lake Como but spare time will be at a premium on your itiinerary. The gardens at Villa Melzi are near Bellagio.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 17:59
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Como S.Giovanni to Lake Como itself

Thanks FF!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Como S.Giovanni to Lake Como itself

I am pressed for time Red4re, so I think taking the fast boat, hydrofoil.

Do we need to book tickets for the hydrofoil? Or can I get away with arriving at 11am and buying a ticket there?

Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,003 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Como S.Giovanni to Lake Como itself

Check with others, but an alternative might be to go to Milano Centrale and get a train straight to Varenna. Then you can tour (small) Varenna, take a 10 minute ferry ride to Bellagio, tour Bellagio, then take the fast ferry to Como. Taxi or walk (2-3 KM) to Como San Giovanni.

6. Re: Como S.Giovanni to Lake Como itself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Lake Como