We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Milan to Bellagio

Ottawa
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
travel from Milan to Bellagio

We will be travelling from Milan to Bellagio in late July...what is the most efficient way to get to Bellagio ? Also we're staying at the Hotel florence..is it a huge hike up the hill?

Tampa
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Milan to Bellagio

No hike at all to get to Hotel Florence. In fact, it's restaurant serves dinner right alongside the lake. As far as getting to Bellagio from Milan, do you mean the airport, Malpensa? Do a search on the Bellagio website, there's lots of information on this and lots of alternatives. It partially depends on the time your plane arrives; and I also have recently read that the bus service to Como is no longer an option. Good Luck.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Milan to Bellagio

My husband propsed to me in Bellagio and we have returned there since so I know it quite well. We got a train out to Como and then took the boat trip up the lake. Not sure of timings etc but there it a good website for the Italian train network. Enjoy

Ottawa
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Milan to Bellagio

Thank you...Did you take the train from Milan ? It's my understading you have to travel by train to Vareena , then to Como. Does that sound familair?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Milan to Bellagio

I am sure we got the train straight from Milan - will ask my husband when he hets home as he normally books our transportation and get back to you

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Milan to Bellagio

If you are coming directly from Milan and not the airport you have two choices:

a. take the train from Cadorna station (Ferrovienord line) which takes you to the Como Nord Lago Station where you can catch a boat to Bellagio

b. take the train from Milano centrale station to Varenna (Italian National Railways) and then ferry from Varenna to Bellagio.

Below are some general directions from Milan Malpensa airport to Como and then Bellagio. This employs the Ferrovienord line which is what you use from Malpensa. You don't actually go to Milan central proper but change at Saronno. I picked up on another website (I haven't actually done this myself, but it looks like good directions and I plan to use it come Sept).

1. After clearing passport control and customs at the Malpensa Airport, exit into the arrivals hall and take the elevator or the steep escalator down one floor to the train station level.

2. At the train station ticket office, purchase a one-way through ticket to Como Nord Lago Station. Make sure to specify that you're going to Como Nord Lago Station (and not to Milano). Fare is 7.05 Euros.

3. Stamp the ticket in the yellow machine at the top of the down escalator, which will take you to the train platform.

4. Board the Malpensa Express Train headed towards downtown Milano (Cadorna Station), but GET OFF at the SARONNO Station (21 minute travel time). (This is the town where they make Amaretti di Saronno cookies). There is only one other station in between (Busto Arsizio), but not all trains stop there. Be prepared to exit the train quickly, as it stops in Saronno for less than one minute.

5. Use the underground tunnel ("sottopassaggio") to connect to the northbound commuter train bound for Como Nord Lago. Actual travel time to Como Nord Lago (last stop of line) is 40 minutes or less (a few trains make the run in 33 minutes). The connection at Saronno (which is a very small station) is extremely easy.

6. Malpensa Express Trains depart Malpensa Airport DAILY at 23 and 53 past each hour. Commuter trains for Como Nord Lago depart Saronno daily at 4 and 34 past each hour (but there are some other departures at odd times). Complete schedules at www.ferrovienord.it (better check for the most current)

Note that this rail line is NOT Italian National Railways, but a local commuter line, Ferrovie Nord.

7. Upon arrival at Como Nord Lago Station, walk across the square (25 yards) to the kiosk on your right (facing the wate). This is the ticket office of the SPT Como Bus Lines, which service towns along Lake Como. Buses for Bellagio and other Lake towns depart from this square.

8. There is a cafe/bar across the street from the ticket office, where you can purchase refreshments and wait for your bus or boat while sitting at an outdoor table viewing the Lake.

9. You will also see the boat landing dock across the street if you are taking boat instead of bus

Here is the time schedule for the boats (you may need to scroll thru the schedule to find the one for the season you will be traveling--summer or winter): http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/home_e.html

chicago
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Milan to Bellagio

I am flying into Malpensa airport at about 7 pm on a Sunday evening this July. We are staying in Bellagio. Can we get transportation there at that time or would I be better to stay by the airport and then head to Bellagio the next morning? I am only in Italy for 4 nights and want to make the most of my stay.

7. Re: travel from Milan to Bellagio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 11:17