We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Accommodation

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Accommodation

Is it normal for hotels in Bellagio / Varenna to require credit card details? We have enquired about booking a room at either Hotel Bellagio in Bellagio, or Hotel Du Lac in Varenna, but both have required our credit card details to confirm the booking. Is this normal? At other places, we have been able to just pay a deposit by bank transfer, which we prefer for security reasons.

Also, Hotel du Lac in Varenna sounds more expensive than Hotel Bellagio - is it worth the extra cost?

Thanks, MJLBlues

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
536 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Accommodation

Italian hotels are definitely moving more toward the standard U.S. practice of requiring a credit card guarantee, though they generally face more restrictive rules about how and when they may charge you. Have you tried to call directly and ask to substitute a wire-transfer deposit for the card info? It may take you longer to confirm your reservation, but they might be willing to work with you.

Happy travels,

Kat

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Accommodation

Thanks Kat - Will do. We've decided if we have to, we'll provide a Visa debit card details if we have to.

We're trying to decide between staying at Hotel Bellagio in Bellagio or Hotel du Lac in Varenna? Hotel du Lac sounds more expensive. Which is better?

Cheers, MJLBlues

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Accommodation

When I book a hotel in Australia, I am usually asked to provide credit card details. Nothing is charged at that time, but if I fail to turn up the card will be charged one night's accommodation.

This is pretty much standard all over the world, and is not something to worry about. Indeed, you are more secure with a credit card than with a wire transfer: if there is a fraudulent card transaction, your bank will reverse it.

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Accommodation

Thanks SydneyNick - good point - it's probably lower security risk after all.

Cheers, MJLBlues

Havelock North, New...
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Accommodation

Hi mjlblues

When we booked our accommodations last year for our 7 week trip to Italy I sent my credit card details split over 2 emails for extra security. Had no problems doing it this way.

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Accommodation

Hello Amici123NZ,

Good advice - I think we were just getting paranoid with everything you hear.

Much appreciated, MJLBlues

7. Re: Booking Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 05:19