We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

Can anyone please tell me how to get to Bellagio from Milian Malpensa airport using public transport at night. Our flight arrives at 19:30 this Friday evening, which I believe will make it too late to take a train from Malpensa to Como and take a ferry from Como to Bellagio. I beleive we would miss the last ferry or hydrafoil. Is there any public transport from Como to Bellagio after 22:00 or what other options do I have. We have pre-paid for our hotel, so staying in a hotel near Malpensa is is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,099 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

No way.

The last bus from Como to Bellagio departs shortly after 8 PM.

You could take a bus to Milan, hence a train to Varenna (arriving there at 22.39), but the last ferry to Bellagio departs at 22.35.

I'm afraid you'll have to train it to Como and take a cab from there. have no idea about the fare, but it won't be cheap.

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

FlyToLake has a shuttle service that leaves at 20.20 from Malpensa to arrive in Bellagio at 22.00, though their pricing doesn't look much better than what you'd probably pay for a cab (unless you've got more than 2 people).

The other option is to arrange for a car service or taxi from Como as FF suggests. I'd suggest pre-arranging, since you'll at least know the price in advance and Como cabbies are not exactly known for their orientation toward service. (I had guests last week who caught a cab outside the station at night and upon asking him how to call for a return trip once they'd arrived were told flatly to take the bus back!) For decent rates, try www.comolimo.com and www.lakecomotaxi.com.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

Once we get to Varenna isn't the can ride to Bellagio pretty quick. Would I need to book a cab in advance for the trip to Varenna to Ballagio?

Thanks

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

it would be even more expensive and a longer journey to take a cab from Varenna than it would be from Como. As I expect you know, the lake is in the shape of an upside down letter "Y". Varenna is on the eastern side of the Lecco leg and Bellagio at the central point. Without the help of a ferry, the cab would have to go down the eastern side of the Lecco leg then up the other side.

Good luck!

Edited: 24 May 2010, 11:29
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

I think I read a saw a posting that says the taxi ride from Varenna to Bellagio is about 40 miles, which is much further than I was thinking. I found out my flight actually arrives at 7 PM, would that give me enought time to take a cab to Milan central and catch the 8:20 train to Varenna. If so how much would the taxi be and how long would that take. It sees like I would be cutting it too close.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,179 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

It is cutting it close....

Train and bus service is excellent from Malpensa to Milan. Taxis have a fixed rate to Milan – 85 euro.

Two buses run routes from Malpensa to Milan Centrale, 60 minutes, 7,50 euro.

http://www.autostradale.it/

http://www.malpensashuttle.it/

Vagabonda

Edited: 24 May 2010, 12:27
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

Thanks for all the input. I just ended up booking a taxi. I didn't want to spend the extra money on a taxi, but I think we are arriving too late to take a chance with making it with public transport.

8. Re: Getting from Malpensa to Ballagio at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 06:24