We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

Having read through many of the entries in this forum, I'm starting to think our scheduled 5 day stop in Bellagio could be too long even with day trips to the few towns around the lake. I would appreciate any advice, or suggested side trip/ itinerary change, or correction! This will be out first visit to Lake Como.

Our current plan is as follows. (All on public transport)

Arrive Milan 18Aug11, 1 night in Milan, then

5 nights in Bellagio

4 nights in Cinque Terre

3 nights Florence

1 night Sienna

2 nights Rome (visited previously on earlier short trip)

Then hop on a cruise which docks later in Venice where we spend another 4 nights.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

It depends on yourself, some people stay a week and find it's not long enough, however if you take off a couple of days maybe you could slip in a quick visit to Venice on the way to Florence.

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
912 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

I would take one night away from Bellagio and add it to Siena.

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
912 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

Daytrips from Bellagio:

The town of Lugano and environs on Lake Lugano.

Bergamo

Milan obviously

If you have a rental car, Soglio, Switzerland and the the Bernina Pass

You can do the Bernina Pass by train witout Soglio (recommend that you turn around in Pontresina).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

Chrella ,

Great minds. We are spending 4-5 days in Venice after the cruise :)

Red4re,

Thanks for the suggestions! I read up on them, Bergamo does look interesting, if we can't fit it in from Lake Como we'll consider it for after Venice. Noted Bernina pass too.

re Seina, lots of advice/forums/travel guides seem to recommend more days in Siena than Florence. If we can't seem to move out tentative accommodation booking around too much I might shorten Florence to 2 night to add 2 night in Siena.

Thanks again.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

I think you need three nights in Florence.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

We have only spent one day in Bellagio, but I think the answer to your question depends on what you want out of the trip. If you can kick-back and relax and watch the same scenery for four days and enjoy it, then Bellagio will be fabulous, it you prefer to have more options to keep you entertained and on the move then I would second the idea of more time in Florence or Siena.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

As other noticed, if you want to relax even one month could be too short, but if you want to be active and see as much as you can I would cut one day in bellagio adding to Milano and one (or two!) days at cinque terre adding to siena or florence.

Toronto, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

5 nights in Bellagio proper is too much. You can discover/explore Bellagio in about a day or two. But if you are going to use it as a base to explore Lake Como in general, then 5 nights is perfect. You can go to Varenna, Menaggio, Cadenabbia and obviously Como. I love Lake Como, as my handle says, but looking at your itinerary I would maybe chop of a day from there and put it somewhere else on your itinerary.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

Thanks everyone for your valued suggestions! Based on them and what have read (and are continually reading up on) we have taken one night off Bellagio to put it into Seinna, (and successfully adjusted the booking dates for affected accommodation) so it looks like this

1 night in Milan, then

4 nights in Bellagio (to explore other towns as well)

4 nights in Cinque Terre (non-negotiable :P)

3 nights Florence

2 night Sienna

2 nights Rome (visited previously on earlier short trip)

Then hop on a cruise which docks later in Venice where we spend another 5 Or 6 nights. (I think by the end of this month it's going to become 7 nights)

This feels right. :) Thanks again!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
24 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days in Bellagio is too long? Adv appreciated

I would prefer Florence over Sienna ~ so much more to see and do there and Florence is very walkable. If you do go, make reservations on line for some of the museums or you will be waiting in line forever if you can get in at all.

Get answers to your questions about Bellagio