We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with Bernina Express itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with Bernina Express itinerary

Hi

Through looking at all the other posts and looking up ferry and train timetables I think we can include the Bernina Express experience in our 5 day stay in Bellagio. We would be planning to do a day trip on 10 May.

Here goes:

Catch 6.20am ferry to Varenna. According to the ferry timetable (navigazionelaghi.it/eng/…nlc_ora_t1.html) the ferry goes via Menaggio and the journey will take around 30 minutes hopefully arriving in time for the train.

We then take the train from Varenna (7.24am) to Tirano arriving at 8.50am. The BE train also leaves Tirano at 8.50 so as this is cutting it too fine for the upward journey we will take the next regular train at 9.40am and gets to St Moritz at 12.08. As I understand, we would be able to hop on hop off on the way to St Moritz being a regular train. Correct?

The Bernina Express train then leaves from St Moritz at 14.45 and gets to Tirano at 17.12. We would have loved to have caught the B.E. Bus from Tirano but the times don't appear to work out.

Can I please ask:

I have looked up www.trenitalia.com . Can I confirm it is NOT possible to prebook online the ticketless option for the Varenna to Tirano trip, thus alleviating the need to prepurchase from a travel agent in Varenna? As we are leaving very early to catch the train I doubt one would be open.

How far is the train station in Varenna from the ferry?

It seems odd they don't have a connecting express bus to the express train in Tirano. Have I misunderstood the website? www.rhb.ch/Bernina-Express.33.0.html…

We will just have a little over 2 hours to kill in St Moritz. Are we better to spend it there or is there something we just should not miss going up to St Moritz.

Thanks for any replies. I really need some help on this one!

Jane

Edited: 09 April 2011, 06:22
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with Bernina Express itinerary

Hi

I am looking at this as well but for my parents and I think an easier option for them may be an organised day trip. There seems to be one leaving Bellagio at 8am on Tuesdays and returning after 5pm so not a long day but if anyone has any feedback on this I would appreciate it.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with Bernina Express itinerary

I think you should take into account 2 things for the journey, first the weather, the trip won't be worth it if its raining so I would only plan a trip after you've checked out the weather and secondly in May it's off season in st Moritz so it will be quite empty with places closed. Also the scenery is quite spectacular in Summer Autumn and Winter, Spring isn't the best time to visit but it still gets a lot of visitors all the same especially at the weekends.

The train waits for the train from Varenna so it would be possible to get the 8.50 train, however if you do want to get the later one you can visit the Basilica in tirano.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with Bernina Express itinerary

Thank you. We may consider just deciding the day before then.

I had read May for Italy is a great time to visit. Obviously not the same for Switzerland. Is it because of the altitude?

I am wondering if anyone knows about the Varenna to Tirano tickets. Can we buy them online? Or must we purchase them in Varenna from an agent?

4. Re: Please help with Bernina Express itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Bellagio