We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

Which hotel do you recommend? I may not be able to get a lake view at Hotel du Lac. Would that change your answer?

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

Personal opinion? Florence, hands down, particularly if you can't get a lake view at du Lac, and *even* if you can't get one at Florence.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

I just stayed at Hotel du Luc the end of May and loved it. I did have a lakeview though, but only because I was lucky enough to be able to upgrade at check in. I suspect the 2 are very similar type hotels. Hotel du luc

also has a roof terrace, I don't know if Florence does so you might want to check.

NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

Can get Hotel Florence in a garden view room but have heard comments about the hand held shower and a/c Should we just opt for Hotel Du Luc÷

New Jersey
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

I stayed at Hotel Florence last year. Loved it. Concierge was helpful too. I don't recall having any issues with the shower. If it was hand held or not I don't remember but I didn't have an issue with it so I wouldn't avoid the hotel for that reason. Hotel Du Luc looked nice too but I didn't go in there. You can't go wrong either way.

NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

Ok, thanks. Did you drive or use the train or ferry?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

I drove from Cinque Terra to Tremezzo and then took ferry across (at recommendation of hotel). I planned some crazy two week trip flying into Paris, train to Avignon (rented an automatic car in Avignon train station - those are hard to find) then Provence, Nice, Cinque Terra, Lake Como, Venice (stopped in Verona on the way), dropped off car at Venice airport, then train to Milan where we flew home. It was Redentoure in Venice so that's why I did that before Milan. I wouldn't recommend it for everybody. It was stressful driving (no NAV and girlfriend who can't read a map, plus don't speak the language) but having a car let's you see more (i.e., moyene corniche from Nice to Monte Carlo, Verona) and you are not stuck with train schedules (lots of waiting time). The one way drop off and the automatic meant the car was expensive (plus I didn't have NAV - getting out of Bellagio was confusing at one point) but what can you do. Later...

7. Re: Hotel du Lac or Hotel Florence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 10:32