We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
584 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

I will be in Bellagio for 3 days and thought since I'm so close, I may want to take a train over to the border and see Monte Cervino. I have no idea the route, the timing, etc? I would try to do it in one day so if it's too much, I may pass. Would appreciate advice from the experts. Thanks.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

Don't you mean to St. Moritz?

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
584 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

Well, I'm not sure really. I have read some links that discuss taking the train to St. Moritz. But when I looked at the map of the area, it looked like Cervino was in the opposite direction from Bellagio. I did a quick search on the forum first and found an old link that mentioned the town of Breuil-Cervinia and that it was a 3 hr drive from Bellagio. I'm not sure which area would be nicer to visit for the day either here or St. Moritz but am open to any suggestions on how tomake it a day trip from Bellagio. It seems like it may be too long, but maybe I'm just unfamiliar with the area and of the logistics.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,099 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

Although Lake Como and the Cervino are not that far apart as the crow flies, going from one to the other (especially by public transport) is neither a short nor an easy trip, as there are mountains and lakes in between. Certainly too long to be a day trip.

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
584 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

Thank you FF. That's about what I thought it might be. I live in Florida where everything is flat and sometimes forget when traveling in mountainous terrains that everything takes longer with lakes and rock in your way.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

Well... it's tiring but by car it is not SO impossible... One day I went from Milan to Munchen only to glimpse at the sun eclipse and went back for dinner... I am still alive!

Bellagio, lecco, milan, motorway direction Torino and then Cervinia. 3.5 hrs and doable.

Simply be prepared that the "common" picture of Matterhorn is taken from Zermatt... Cervinia side is somewhat different, but the sight from Plateau Rosa is nevertheless breathtaking

…photoshelter.com/img-get/…v70-34-6.jpg

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

If you want to go to Zermatt - then you should chose to stay on lake maggiore rather than Como. como is easier for St. Moritz

7. Re: Train from Bellagio to see the Matterhorn (Cervino)??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 22:17