We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

We would love 5-6 days on Lake Como and wondering what to combine with this location. We've toured Milan, Tuscany, Cinque Terre,Florence, Rome, Venice and lots of hill towns. Would you suggest Lake Garda,Lake Luzerne? I know Lake Lugano is a day trip from Lake Como so not necessary to relocate there. Thanks for your suggestions.

so.cal
Level Contributor
64 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

You could go into Switzerland very easily from Lake Como, so that would be fun to visit if you've already been to a lot of places in Italy. I've never been to Turin, but that is pretty close and seems like a city with lots to do.

Have a GREAT time!!

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

Try Lake Maggiore.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

Lugano (town) and Lake Lugano can be more than a day trip from Lake Como!

You could also drive the northeastern spur of Lake Como to Chiavenna. Cross into Switzerland's Graubünden canton. This valley is dotted with ancient towns. Soglio is an adorable hamlet located high above the valley on a cliff. It's a great little hamlet to explore, and there are incredible hiking trails. Soglio takes you back in time! Enjoy lunch on the terrace of La Soglina - The views of the mountains and glacier are spectacular!

Continue on past St. Mortiz to Pontresina, and the Bernina Pass. Drive onward to lovely Poschiavo and Tirano, and then see Bergamo and Lake Garda.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

Thanks All,

We've been to Stresa-loved it! I will explore Turin and all of Vagabonda's suggestions.

How many days would you spend in Lugano? We like to spend at least 3 nights in a location. Would you say that's about right?

I'm pretty sure my husband would prefer not driving. Would Lake Garda(towns,surroundings) be different enough to combine with Lake Como?

We would be going the middle/end of September.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

If you’d like 3 nights in a location, head to Lake Garda rather than Lake Lugano.

Compared to Lake Garda:

tripadvisor.com/…15700809

Although consider Piemonte since September is a lovely time to visit Piemonte, but you would appreciate a car if visiting the countryside and lovely villages and wineries.

Camogli vs SML as base for 7 nights w/out car: tripadvisor.com/…36959976

A few short days in Piedmont:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187851-i841-k5390…

Vagabonda

Edited: 15 May 2012, 14:41
Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

Thank you so much for all the information. I will spend some time researching and exploring the places suggested.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

Enjoy your planning vkaplan - All the best!

Vagabonda

8. Re: Lake Como and where else for a 2 week holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:16