We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best driving route

Which Bellagio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
85 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best driving route

We are driving up to Bellagio from the South of France in early July. What is the best route to take? Should we drive directly to Bellagio or put the car on the ferry?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best driving route

I hope you are planning to return to France. If you pick up a car and France and drop off in Italy, there will be a very substantial one-way fee.

What do you mean by "best"? The fastest would be to stay on the motorways: A8 to the Italian border, A10 to a bit before Genoa, A26 and then A7 towards Milan. From Nice, this would be about 400 km (250 miles), would take about 4.5 hours of driving (plus stops), and would cost €28.10 in tolls and about €50 in fuel.

It would be far more interesting to use the ordinary roads, but it would take far longer.

There is no ferry.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best driving route

You don't need to put the car on the ferry, you can drive direct to Bellagio, check out the Michelin route planner website:

www.viamichelin.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best driving route

I may have misunderstood: I though the OP was asking about a ferry from Nice along the coast, and there is no such ferry.

If a Lake Como ferry was what the OP had in mind, there is no point in using one to get to Bellagio, as you would have to drive further up the west side of the lake to get to Menaggio to take the ferry.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best driving route

I think they mean is it best to drive up the Lecco side of the lake or the Como/Tremezzo side and put the car on the car ferry at Cadenabbia.

Certainly a much easier drive up the Como/Argegno/Tremezzo/Cadenabbia leg of the lake.....stop at Cadenabbia and put the car on the car ferry to Bellagio.

STRESA

Toronto
Level Contributor
85 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best driving route

Thanks for your responses.

Just to clarify - Yes, I meant ferry across Lake Como from the west side of the lake to Bellagio. I may be from Canada, but I do realize that this is a road trip!

And by "best", I meant most efficient. I agree that the motorways are not the most scenic, but not being familiar with the area, we want the most simple and direct route.

Once we reach Lake Como, I heard that by not taking the ferry, the route is definitely more scenic, but it will take longer as the roads are winding and through the mountains. Is that correct?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best driving route

The road between Como and Bellagio is not easy to drive. It has many bends and in places is quite narrow.

For the easiest drive, take autoroute to a bit east of Milan, then go towards Lecco and up the eastern side of Lake Como to Varenna, then the ferry. It is not the shortest route, but the road up the east side is often in tunnel and is a much easier road to drive.

My comments about a ferry were because people quite often ask about the possibility of a ferry from Nice to Genoa.

7. Re: Best driving route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:47