We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian Menu's

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Italian Menu's

So I'm curious... From what I've read, ordering at a restaurant in Italy can be a bit of a challenge. For one there is always the language barrier, and in addition to that I've heard they actually have a tourist menu? Any advice, suggestions, or tips you could provide to this first time travler? Thank you in advance for your time and help!!!

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian Menu's

Most (if not all) restaurants have the menu posted outside so you can look at the menu and the prices first. A lot of menus have Italian and English (and other lanugages) and I'm sure they all do in Bellagio. Certainly the Metropole does.

An Italian/English phrasebook won't come amiss and when in doubt, smile and try to order in Italian. I've had to point a time or two at what I want on the menu but they look at what I'm pointing at, smile and all is good.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 14:26
Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian Menu's

Thank you for the lovely advice, it is very much appreciated!!! Have a great day

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian Menu's

You won't have a problem in Bellagio as there are a lot of British and American tourists that visit so all the menus are in English. There's a Bristish woman who runs the Et Al wine bar there called Sarah, so if you want to have a pre dinner glass of wine that's the place to go.

Palm Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian Menu's

Fantastic, and even better that Sarah is my wife's name also. Must be a sign or something?!?! Thanks so much for your help, it definitely was a comfort to read your post!!!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
241 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian Menu's

The tourist menus are like pre-fix menus: a combination of dishes for a "value" price.

Bellagio is made for tourists; I wouldn't worry too much there :) Are you going anywhere else on this trip?

If you have time, I'd definitely recommend a ferry ride over to Varenna! There's a lovely walk (called the "Lover's Walk") from the port over to the other side of Varenna (its a fairly short walk as Varenna is tiny) but once you get to the other side there are lovely cafes and shops. Varenna Caffe is a small, wonderful cafe right on the water and the staff is excellant. There's also a local painter who paints scenes of the lake and has a showroom right off the water. If you want good pizza, Pizzeria Albergo del Bole is in the main square, Piazza San Giorgio.

Jessica

onedayinitaly.tumblr.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian Menu's

One of the best restaurant tips I've heard for Italy is to always try to order one of the daily specials. They're based on what's freshest, unlike some menu items which are there just because tourists expect them to be. For those, they might used canned or frozen ingredients.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian Menu's

Try "Buon Appetito - Italian-English Dictionary of Gastronomic Terms" - www.gourmetguides.eu - or their iPhone App "gourmetguides"

You'll be delighted

8. Re: Italian Menu's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 03:16