We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car-Free Villages

Pelham, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car-Free Villages

Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling by car through the Lakes region in two weeks. We're staying in Stresa for the first two days then heading east over the next three days and spending our final 2-1/2 days in Venice. I'd love to stay in Bellagio, but I understand it's car-free, as are several other towns on Lake Como. How does this work? Would we leave our car somewhere outside of town and take a shuttle (ferry)? Thanks in advance for your help.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car-Free Villages

Have you not booked your hotel yet in the area? October is still pretty much high season these days. Anyway, the key is to stay at a hotel in Bellagio that has parking. Belvedere is one such hotel. There is also a large public lot down near the ferry docks in Bellagio, but I would not feel comfortable just leaving my car there for a few days. There is also some street parking. Once in Bellagio, you can simply walk or ferry to other areas (i.e. Varenna, Como, etc) and have no need for the car. There are a few other hotels of course that have parking so a good idea would be to check www.venere.com for hotels and check to see which offer parking.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car-Free Villages

Bellagio isn't car free, you can drive there and your hotel will be able to give you info regarding parking.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car-Free Villages

A lot of towns and cities in Italy have pedestrian-only zones, so that's probably what you've heard about.

Pelham, New...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car-Free Villages

Thanks for the clarification. We have hotels booked for the first two nights in Stresa and the last three nights in Venice. I was thinking of winging it for the middle 18th, 19th and 20th, but it sounds like I'd better make reservations before we leave.

Thanks again -

Patti

Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
995 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car-Free Villages

As mentioned above, the Bellagio core is traffic restricted and a one-way only flow. Within the traffic restricted core, there is somewhat large parking lot up at the church. there is second parking lot down by the car/bus/truck ferry parking lot. There is a third parking lot a little bit south (near/at th Bellagio lido). I believe that your hotel can give you a code so that you drive-in and drop your bags (check with the hotel).

In general the better value, less expensive hotels in Bellagio don't control sigificant parking spaces. The Serbelloni will let you park inside its gates (alongside the mega buck cars). Of the top of my head, several hotels in Menaggio and Tremezzo have at least a few parking spaces.

If you can tell us your price range, then we can tell you what hotels might best offer parking to you.

6. Re: Car-Free Villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 00:05
7. Re: Car-Free Villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 08:17