We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail travel

n.j.
1 post
Save Topic
rail travel

how difficult is it to travel by rail from milan to como. and from como to venice? has anyone done either of these trips? i'd like to combine 4-5 days in como with a longer stay in venice, but we'd rather not drive. thanks for any answers.

Milan to Lake Como, Bellagio or...
1,473 Reviews
from US$110.80*
Lake Como Day Trip from Milan with...
9 Reviews
from US$125.80*
Como Food Tour
6 Reviews
from US$105.90*
Como Segway Tour
1 Review
from US$173.10*
Western MA
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rail travel

When we were in Italy, we came into Milan and traveled to Como and then Venice in our itinerary as you are doing. We were on an organized tour traveling by bus, but I am sure they also have buses available especially for tourists. They are usually very comfortable, and we found that just about everyone in Italy was most friendly and helpful. By the way, these are some fantastic and beautiful areas. You may also want to look into going into Switzerland when you are in Como. It's very close and there is more to see there.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Denver, CO
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rail travel

Reaching Lake Como by train from Milan is easy. We've taken a train from the Milan Central Station to Como. When you reach Como, it's a bit of a walk from the train station to the lake dock where you'll pick up a boat to the village you'll be visiting on Lake Como -- but you can easily find a taxi if you find the walk is too far for you. If by chance you are flying into Milan's Malpensa airport, I highly recommend taking a bus to Como from the airport. It's much faster, very inexpensive and convenient. Depending on where you are staying on the lake, the bus may be able to take you there, and you won't need the boat leg of the trip (although the boat travel is beautiful and very efficient as well).

We have stayed at the Hotel Florence in Bellagio on Lake Como, and we love it. It's located just across from the boat dock. A double room runs about 150 - 250 Euros -- many rooms have terraces that have just absolutely beautiful views of the lake (I mean it's really really beautiful!) We have also stayed at the Albergo Villa Belvedere in Argegno on Lake Como. It's more basic - but also nice and rates are about 130 Euros for a double.

To proceed from Como to Venice, you'll go back through Milan's Central Station (via the Lake Como boat, then the taxi to Como rail station) and pick up the main rail line to Venice. I think it's also possible to pick up the train at Venerra on Lake Como- but you'll still be routed back through Milan's Central Station where you'll change trains for Venice (I read about this connection in Rick's Steve's book, but I've never taken this path back).

You might want to consider stopping in Verona on your way to Venice - it's very worthwhile and it's also easy to navigate without a car (and it's right on the way)

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Argegno
Argegno
Lake Como, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rail travel

I second the suggestion to stop in Verona. You can take in the market square, Juliet's house (yes, that Juliet), the Coloseum, and Giardino Giusti in no more than 3-4 hours. The latter is a very relaxing, centuries-old garden complete with a topiary labyrinth and towering cypresses. A gradual walk up stone steps and sloping paths will take you to terraces with commanding views of the city and beyond. It's a nice spot to cool off and unwind in.

Mentioned in this post
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
new york
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rail travel

How long is ride trip from milano centrale to como? I have a 7 am train out of Milano Centrale following a Como stay, and am concerned about how I will get there from Como to station that morning. Someone mentioned an abundance of taxis in Como - true? Any ideas on travel time or rate?

Denver, CO
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rail travel

The train travel time from Como to Milan is about 45 minutes. My main concern would be getting from the Lake area to the Como train station and then on to Milan by 7:00. I'm not sure the hydrofoils run that early in the day.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
new york
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rail travel

I agree! We have decided to spend the night prior to the train trip in Milan. Have you been to Bellagio and would you recommend staying there or is it worthy of a day trip?

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rail travel

There are 2 stations in Como. One is about half a mile from the lake. The other is on the lake. I'm not allowed to give website names here but when travelling in Europe, including the UK I use the German Rail website to get routes as they seem to have all the times and stations in there, although when I checked they only had one of the Como stations listed.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rail travel

I have found the Italian Railway website (trenitalia). It looks as though trains to the big Como station go from Milan Centrale and those to the lakeside station go from Milan Cadorna wich is about 3 Km away and actually nearer the centre of Milan. But there don't seem to be any trains between midnight and 6 am.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Denver, CO
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: rail travel

We have stayed in Bellagio and I thought it was very beautiful and would recommend it. Our favorite place tp stay is the Hotel Florence -- located just across from the dock. Rates run from 150 - 250 Euros.

Mentioned in this post
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Lisle IL
Level Contributor
16 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rail travel

This coming week I will need transportation from Lake Como to Milan Linate Airport. Which Milan train station is closest to Linate Airport? Milan Centrale or Milan Cadorna?? I have a 10:30 a.m. flight out and need to know what time I should think about leaving Lake Como. I will be staying at the Barchetta Excelsior Hotel (if that means anything).

Mentioned in this post
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Hotel Barchetta Excelsior
Hotel Barchetta Excelsior
533 Reviews
Como, Italy