We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is March a good time to go??

Which Como hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is March a good time to go??

Hi guys, my partner and I are thinking of staying in Como for a few nights the last weekend in March. Would this be a good time to go? Will everything be open? Weather wise is it a good time to go? We are fling into Bergamo airport and don't know whether to stay in Milan with a day-trip to Como, or stay in Como and day-trip to Milan! Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is March a good time to go??

The end of March isn't a bad time to visit. Most of the villas open at some point in March (Balbianello, Carlotta, Monastero), the town of Como doesn't close down at all (though it's quieter in the off-season), and Bellagio will be in full swing on the weekends, with all regular shops and restaurants open.

Weather ... is tougher to predict. Frequently March gets sunny, clear days (still a little chilly), but there's a fair amount of rain at times, too. My family typically has come out around that time for a couple of years now and they've had good luck both times. It's definitely nice to beat the crowds. If you can put off your lodging decision until the last minute, you might see what the predictions are the week before. If it looks to be mild, I'd say go for it and spend the majority of your time on the lake.

Enjoy!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,075 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is March a good time to go??

Mid-April begins the tourist season on Lake Como.

weather.com/outlook/…

Milan would probably be a better base, but Como would be acceptable - At the lake's southern terminus, Como is not as scenic as towns further north, and it's the largest and most commercial town on the lake. It lacks the charm of Bellagio.

frommers.com/destinations/…0740010043.html

Base in Milan and day trip to Bellagio.

Vagabonda

Moscow
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is March a good time to go??

It depends on the weather and on how much time you want to spend on the lake. If you only have a couple of nights, then if you like the idea of lake trips, I'd say base in Como, 1 day trip into Milan (quick and convenient by train if you want), spend a day in Como, one day in Bellagio and you could hit another lake town that same day, depending on how early you set out or if you'll be driving.

While Bellagio is "charming" (so are other lake towns), it and most of the other towns on the lake are 'toy' towns. Como is pretty darned nice, despite what 1 or 2 travel books say, plus there are lots of restaurants, lots of shopping, decent size grocery stores, plenty of lake(!), etc.

Basing in Milan is fine too, but the extra hour to get to the lake makes lake day trips pretty short if you're doing the lake by boat, as most evenings the last boat back is fairly early.

Based in Milan, you'd probably do a day trip to Como and Bellagio (again, especially if by boat, better to get out to the smaller lake towns earlier and spend late afternoon/evening in Como), maybe a day to Bergamo (I haven't been there) or not, and 1 or 2 days in Milan. Again, it depends on how much draw the lake has for you.

4. Re: Is March a good time to go??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 02:16