We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bellagio to Milan

Calif.
1 post
Save Topic
Bellagio to Milan

My wife and I are traveling to Bellagio in June 2009. We need to be in Milan on Sunday June 22 around noon.

We were planning on taking an early ferry from Bellagio to Varenna, then a train from Varenna to Milan. Do we need to prepay for train tickets or can we buy them in Varenna? Are there early trains from Varenna to Milan? What train? Know of a better way? Thanks

Best Seller
Lake Como Day Tour, Bellagio or...
1,441 reviews
from US$98.50*
Half-Day Lake Como Discovery Tour...
1 review
from US$123.40*
Villas of Lake Como Full Day Tour
35 reviews
from US$280.40*
Como Food Tour
5 reviews
from US$105.90*
Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
558 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bellagio to Milan

There are plenty of early trains from Varenna-Esino to Milano Centrale, even on a Sunday. Check schedules & fares at www.trenitalia.it. You can either buy your ticket online in advance or at any train station or other ticket outlet during your trip. The station in Varenna supposedly has automated ticket machines, but I've heard they're frequently out of service. In this case, you should be able to buy your tickets once onboard.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bellagio to Milan

I'm no expert Kat, but wouldn't it be a safer bet to get the bus to Como then one of the frequent trains to Milan?

It would be easy to miss the train at Varenna and stressful walking up the hill.

Just a thought.

Bob.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,466 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bellagio to Milan

The routing proposed by OP is the easiest and probably fastest. The walk from the Varenna pier to the train station is five minutes (ten tops), and the height gain is honestly negligible, unless they have heavy luggage.

There definitely is no ticket office or vending machine at the Varenna station. OP would be best advised to get tickets ahead of time through a travel agent in Bellagio -- there is one according to www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

There is also a travel agent in Varenna, but it's unlikely the office is open on a Sunday.

Mosta travel agencies in Italy are licesnsed to sell Trenitalia tickets and they charge no extra comission.

4. Re: Bellagio to Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 15:17