We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
507 reviews
Save Topic
How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

There are many forum posts about the tough choice between Lake Como, Garda and Maggiore. And then, in which town to select once you choose the lake. Well, if dining and experiencing wonderful cuisine is an important part of your decison (as it is for my wife and I), I have just posted an article under "Dining Overview" for Como if anyone is interestetd.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187835-s501/Como:Ita…

It is not a positive article about the dining scene in Como and Bellagio and I am sure it will generate some opposing responses - that is OK by me. But what I have tried to convey is the disappointing experience that we recently had in both Como and Bellagio. We have never encountered this in Italy during the last decade of visiting our favourite country. I just felt it was worth sharing a different perspective on Como and the "Jewel of the Lake" Bellagio.

Cheers

Mutiny

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

Lake Como is overtouristed, but with adequate preparation, you can dine well. The person who wrote this trip report evidently did:

fodors.com/community/europe/ligurian-coast-l…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,072 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

There are many charming and local alternatives to Como and Bellagio on Lake Como.

Seldom mentioned on these forums, consider Argegno and San Fedele D’Intelvi.

http://www.lagodicomo.com/english/argegno.php

holidayitalia.net/localinfo/localinfoargegno…

Enjoy a local locanda and cantina - Locanda Sant Anna.

http://www.locandasantanna.net/nuovo.htm

Take the cable car from Pigra down to Argegno for the ferry.

hotelsmenaggiolagocomo.it/modulo_itineraries…

Or drive the hills of the Val d'Intelvi between Lake Como and Lake Lugano – Visit Lake Lugano.

Without a car, take the train from Milan to Varenna - Charming and less touristy, Varenna has a lot to offer, especially considering its size, and it has a convenient location for touring the mid-lake region.

Varenna has an excellent selection of all kinds of accommodations (villa, hotels, B&B, inns, locanda) and several very good restaurants.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187837-i2373-k126…

Varenna is peaceful and quiet. It has a charming Passerella – A lakeside promenade connecting the harbour to the old town. Its medieval town square has four churches. Castello di Vezio is Varenna’s ruined castle sitting on a hill above town and the lakeside gardens of Villa Cipressi and Villa Monastero are enchanting.

Varenna and Argegno are only two of many, many alternatives to Como and Bellagio.

Vagabonda

Varenna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Lake Como
Level Contributor
544 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

I support your right to express your own opinion, but I have to object to the way in which you chose to do so. Vague and over-generalized diatribes are neither useful to other tourists nor fair to those who work very hard in the local service industry.

Had a bad experience in a restaurant in either town? Write a review about that SPECIFIC restaurant. Give us details and descriptions, name the guilty parties to your heart's content, do your worst -- but BE FAIR. Don't just sling mud hither and thither.

If you absolutely must make gross over-generalizations about an area, do so in the forum and generate a discussion rather than seeking some official-looking platform for your vague venting.

Thanks,

Kat

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

Actually, if your read it, it is not a general diatribe but a specific commentary on the sameness and blandness of dining options in Como and Bellagio. It states quite clearly that it does not relate to other areas in Lake Como. Plus it was not a single bad experience but a consistent experience over several days to a group of people who love all things related to Italy, have travelled extensively through Italy, and look forward to their return to Italy. I truly hope that other travellers have a different experience but I already have many private messages from people glad to see me write this article about Como and Bellagio.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

I have to agree with Kat

Did you make at least 3 requests for your bill in every reataurant?

And did you track down the 'best pizza' in Como after eating in every restaurant/pizzeria?

I somehow doubt it..

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

Como (the town) is, I think, the only place I've been in Italy where I couldn't find a decent restaurant. I'm sure there must be some (and this was a number of years ago) but I remember it was a problem. I recall having a nice lunch in Bellagio however. I'm not crazy about Lake Como in general.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

If you want a wonderful meal in the city of Como, I suggest you take the funicular up to Brunate and wander around the back streets until you find a sign for Trattoria del Cacciatore specializing in polenta. It's only 200 meters from the funicular, but very hidden and the most wonderful food I've ever eaten.

Good restaurants exist everywhere - keep searching.

8. Re: How to choose where to stay on Lake Como?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2009, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Como