We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from London

Which Como hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london,uk
Level Contributor
590 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from London

Hi, four of us are planning a trip middle of May for one week. to Lake Como, where we will rent an apartment. We fancy going by train but have no idea were to begin. We want to do it as cheap as possible. Could anyone tell me how to book it? should we book the full thing from here and is there a good website? How long does it take? Or and whilst we are on the subject does anyone know which part would be the livliest? in that we would like a few bars to sit outside on a night. With many thanks in advance.

Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from London

fly easyjet to milan & take train to como from there

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from London

When I have travelled to Lake Como by train, we have taken the Euorostar to Paris, then the SNCF TGV to Milan and then either an Intercity to Como or a regional train to Varenna.

The journey from Paris to Milan on the day train takes about seven hours, I am not sure about the night train. If you take the day train, I think it's a good idea to spend the night in Paris and catch the early TGV, this summer it was something like 07:45, but it can vary from year to year. However staying in Paris does up the cost, but would not be necessary if you take the night train, and anyway, the earlier you book your tickets the better the price.

I think there must be other routes but this seems the most direct. If you Google eurostar and sncf it will lead you to their websites.

I love travelling by train and seeing the changing French and Italian countryside, needless to say, the Alps are spectacular.

I have stayed in Bellagio four times in the past and this summer I stayed in Lenno, both an easy ferry ride from Varenna. I think Bellagio is probably the liveliest town on that part of the lake. Lenno is much smaller with only a couple of bars, but they are both absolutely beautiful. There are of course other little towns - Varenna for instance which is really pretty.

I hope this helps!

I hope this helps, at least it might "bump" up

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from London

Sorry - that last line doesn't make sense. I was distracted by being called away a couple of times. What I meant to say was that at least my reply would "bump" your query and, therefore, it might be brought to the attention of people better able to advise you regarding different train routes.

I hope you decide to go - Lake Como is beautiful.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,883 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from London

While all sugestions above make sense, if you are an absolute beginner when it comes to long distance train travel, you will find lots of guidance on http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm Scroll down the page for specific hints on training it from London to Como.

london,uk
Level Contributor
590 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from London

Thanks. Do you know when is the best time to book the train? Its not letting me yet. Also, if there is four of us, is it worth booking a private place rather then getting a hotel? is there a site that anyone would recommend?

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from London

You can book your Eurostar London to Paris tickets from 120 days before departure, and the SNCF TGV tickets, 90 days before. It really is worth your while to book as soon as the site is open for your date as they are much cheaper.

I have only stayed in a hotel, but I would imagine if there are four of you, it would be worth considering an apartment

If you start a new thread with a request for advice on accommodation in the title, I am sure someone will help.

Good luck!

7. Re: Trains from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:16